New to MaxMSP! A few questions

Feb 4, 2011 at 8:43pm

New to MaxMSP! A few questions

Hi everyone,

I have a class at university where I have to give a live performance. The performance is in around five weeks and I need to make a Max Patch for then. I’ve never used Max before; I’ve had a couple of lessons but it was just adding sfplay and sfrecord objects to the example Classic Vocoder. The more my lecturer said about Max the more confused I got. The long and short of it is, I have no idea what anything in Max does or how to do anything at all. I’ve had a look at a few help patches for sfplay, and I can only grasp about half of what’s in there.

For my performance, I just want to be able to loop a guitar, and have a few effects (delay, distortion, chorus). I found this http://cycling74.com/2008/07/28/max-5-guitar-processor-part-1/ yesterday. Can I dive straight in and follow that? Or do I need to do the tutorials first?

Thanks!

Phil.

Feb 4, 2011 at 9:34pm

Do the tutorials, they will explain everything you need to know, they really do a much better job than anything we could jot down in this thread. After you’ve done a few of them dive in! If you dive in without getting the fundamentals down you will probably get confused and overwhelmed.

Feb 4, 2011 at 11:05pm

Apart from brokenman’s reaction I can’t help wonder why you don’t pick up a DAW for this task ? Although Max is perfectly capable here, don’t get me wrong, I think a DAW maybe more suitable.

Unless of course the patch should be used as part of your study. I wasn’t too sure about that so figured I’d mention the DAW anyway.

Feb 5, 2011 at 1:16pm

Well, that’s what I was thinking, but we’re being encouraged to use Max. I’ve got the test tone tutorial done, but the articles seem confusing. I’m assuming all the following ones will work if I just copy the diagrams? Most of the text in the articles is above me!

Feb 5, 2011 at 1:30pm

Hi,
Well, if your tutor confused you, here’s a better one!

http://www.peterbatchelor.com/maxTuts.html

Hope it helps!

Feb 5, 2011 at 6:06pm

The MSP tutorials are built on the basic foundation of the Max tutorials. If you don’t start with Max, the assumed knowledge in the MSP tutorials will swamp you.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.