new to this

Feb 7, 2008 at 1:41am

new to this

Hi, so i’m pretty new to this whole thing. I’m a college student, my school got a brand new music technology lab and I’ve taken several courses in it over the past two years. Needless to say, I’m very interested in the genre. The only real technology I’ve used is Logic. A few weeks ago my school hired Scott Pagano and Chris Willits(spelling)(don’t know if any of you have heard of these guys) to put on a presentation, where they had a huge video/guitar music collaboration. It was pretty cool. The two of them also came to my class and told us about what they do, and they mentioned cycling74 and MAX/Msp. I thought I’d check it out, and realized I was in way over my head. I know that MAX is nothing like Logic, I’m just trying to expand my electronic music/video/compositional knowledge.

So my question is, can any of you point me in the right direction to get started? I’ve been looking through the tutorials but I can’t find anything for beginners.

I don’t really have a goal, just trying to have fun and experiment.

Thanks!

(PS- I’m using the 30 trial version of MAX)

Feb 7, 2008 at 4:09am

Start in the documentation folder and read Max46Fundamentals.pdf. Then dive into the Max tutorials and go through them along with the accompanying pdf. After that move to MSP and do the same.

It’s been said over and over (and I couldn’t agree more)…. Cycling 74 provides some of the best documentation out there and the tutorials WILL get you through the basics and show you what is possible if you stick with them.

Good luck and enjoy!
/dan

Quote: sheepstealer wrote on Wed, 06 February 2008 18:41
—————————————————-
> So my question is, can any of you point me in the right direction to get started? I’ve been looking through the tutorials but I can’t find anything for beginners.
>
> I don’t really have a goal, just trying to have fun and experiment.
>
> Thanks!
>
> (PS- I’m using the 30 trial version of MAX)
—————————————————-

Feb 7, 2008 at 4:42am

Feb 7, 2008 at 5:12am

Feb 7, 2008 at 1:24pm

haha…ive seen binary universe…ridiculousness. I loved it.

thanks for all your help!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.