newbee and hello guys!

Sep 6, 2009 at 1:13pm

newbee and hello guys!

hello! i just purchased the max/msp taptools combo! for a long time i have been wanted to learn this application and finaly i made a decision. so my background is hardware modular/synth:s. and hoping to be able to use this as a modular also..
when reading about the diffrent objects(modules) i miss some stuff.. like LFO:s..? and a a sinewave osc? or can all osc/Synthesis objects be used as controllers/LFO.s?
i also wondering what many of the objects really do in a musical kind of speaking.. like cosine function..?
and also what object can be used a a simple multiplier/bus?= make many signals from one?

im making my own “translation notes” for objects right now and have a long way to go, and any help is very welcome!

peace out..
peter sedin

Sep 6, 2009 at 2:11pm

MaxMSP is built upon the concept that different things can have different functions- reading through the tutorials can help to clarify common uses of objects and checking out help and reference pages can help to further inform you about what each object is capable of doing.

Eli

Sep 6, 2009 at 4:42pm

One thing to note is that Max is Max, so it is best to learn it as something new rather than force it into some behaving pre-existing idea of what it should be.

Everyone here will tell you 100 times that the tutorials are very important to getting started. They are located under the Help Drop down menu. Start with the Max tutorials and then go to the MSP tutorials. The Max tutorials may seem boring at first (where’s the sound?) but you really need to understand how Max operates in order to use MSP effectively. Honestly, Max is really the more interesting part once you get into. In MSP, oscillators are oscillators, filters are filters but once you create some kind of cool way of generating control data, they come to life.

As I said before, Max/MSP is what it is. It’s not just a modular synth, so even while there are objects that can be used as an envelope generator, they may not be called ‘envelope’. In MSP this could be ‘line~’ or ‘curve~’, which are more general purpose but function very well as envelope generators.

So, invest the time into the tutorials and you will have a lot of your questions answered. If you get bored, try to take a few things from whatever tutorial you are currently on and make some music with it.

Sep 7, 2009 at 4:44am
peter sedin wrote on Sun, 06 September 2009 15:13
i also wondering what many of the objects really do in a musical kind of speaking.. like cosine function..?

some things about maxmsp can be confusing at the first moment,
cosine is a good example.

there is a [cos] object for numbers, and a [cos~] object for
audio signals. and guess what, they are doing different things.

while cos is a plain math function for “cos of”, cos~ does more,
it already does (cos of input * 2 pi) so that you get what a#
musician would call a sinewave (which actually always is a
COsine) when you input a ramp from 0. to 1.(what a musician
would call a “saw up wave with 100% phase offset”.)

in other words, some maxmsp objects are closer to the
“programming” world, and some are a bit closer to a
musicians or engineers view and needs.
you find that out by tutorials, help files, the reference,
this forum, and last but not least by just trying.

Quote:
and also what object can be used a a simple multiplier/bus?= make many signals from one?

you mix signals in maxmsp by simply putting 3 signals into
the same inlet of any other signal object. this will multiply/mix them.
there is usually no need to put an extra [*~ ] object between.

you just have to take care and not put signals AND a number into
some of the objects inlets which take both.that ill end up in wrong results because the number input is not updated when the signal input changes and will keep multipling the signal input.
this happens with things like the freuency input of some filters.

Sep 7, 2009 at 8:42am
Quote:
You mix signals in maxmsp by simply putting 3 signals into
the same inlet of any other signal object. This will multiply/mix them. There is usually no need to put an extra [*~] object between.

Just so you don’t get confused. Roman means “sum” where he says “muliply” and so that should be [+~] instead of [*~]. I hope that clears things up a bit.

lh

Sep 7, 2009 at 12:06pm

Its true that the Max tutorials are a bit boring but once you know how to do basic Max patches then they are useful when designing patches that produce audio. I use Max priniciples all the time when making synths and especially like the “metro”, “counter” and “transport” objects to create specific events using the parameters that I set.

The “random” and “urn” objects are very useful for creating random effects when attached to the frequency of, lets say, a cycle~ object. I have recently used the urn object to trigger off another part of my patch when the urn has finished generating random numbers.

Unlike “random”, “urn” generates a random number only ONCE (within the specified range) and outputs a bang from the right outlet once all the numbers have been generated. I used this bang message to turn on a toggle which activates another part of the patch.

That is just a simple idea of how random number generators could be used within your future patches (they are covered in the tutorials).

Another important thing to remember is that Max reads data from right to left (allbeit very quickly). There is a way to show this that is discussed in the Max tutorials.

You can also download a number of patches/externals/abstractions from different websites which can help you if you can’t find one which does what you want it to do. The online documentation has sections where you can view all of the Max/MSP/Jitter commands which is a very handy tool. Right clicking the placed object and pressing on help is also a very useful feature when creating your patches.

Sep 14, 2009 at 5:17pm

just wanted to say thanks for all the help!
peter

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.