Newbie Q: Arguments vs Inlets

Jul 7, 2006 at 10:40am

Newbie Q: Arguments vs Inlets

Hello experts of Max,

i’m trying to learn max/msp/jitter, and i’ve come a good way into the tutorials, but one thing i can’t seem to grasp properly.

Are there any direct relevance between arguments and inlets? Or are there NO relevance? For example, if objects has four arguments and four inlets, are always they sequentially the same? First argument equals first inlet, or are there some other structure/system to it?

Especially when attacking Jitter and there are the even more confusing attributes.. I really would like to have a fundamental understanding of this, even if it is just: There are no system.

#26709
Jul 7, 2006 at 1:08pm

The number/order of inlets is completely independent from the number/order of the arguments.

In some patches, there are relationships between the two but that was a desicion made by the creater of that particular patch in order to make it easier for the user.

If you look over tutorial 28 “Your Argument”, you will notice that the gamble object has three inlets and two arguments. The two arguments (#1 & #2) are associated with the same data as inlets 2 & 3. Those arguments could still exist without the inlets and vice versa.

Try playing with the gamble object to get a better feel for how arguments work. Take the patch and switch the numbering on the arguments, and see what happens. Tinkering the the objects tends to be the easiest way to learn how they function.

Also, carefully read “When to use arguments” at the end of tutorial 28.

#80152
Jul 7, 2006 at 5:54pm

yes it is not automatically releated, but of course
you can always make it as if it would be .. like, say,
the [slide~] object comes; its 2 inlets control the same
adress then what the two arguments do.

-110

#80153
Jul 7, 2006 at 8:05pm

There is no coherent, overriding system.

A number of objects behave as you hoped (1st arg ~ 1st inlet, and so
on) or (1st arg ~ 2nd inlet, and so on… for these the 1st inlet has
no argument). But every object desides for itself how it wants to do
things.

– P

————– http://www.bek.no/~pcastine/Litter/ ————-
Peter Castine +–> Litter Power & Litter Bundle for Jitter

iCE: Sequencing, Recording & |home | chez nous|
Interface Building for |bei uns | i nostri|
Max/MSP Extremely cool http://www.castine.de

http://www.dspaudio.com/

#80154
Jul 8, 2006 at 9:23am

Thank you everybody, that helps alot. I was thinking it was like this but couldnt find any explicit statement that it was.

Thanks!

#80155
Jul 11, 2006 at 10:15pm

superballoon wrote:
> Are there any direct relevance between arguments and inlets? Or are
> there NO relevance? For example, if objects has four arguments and
> four inlets, are always they sequentially the same? First argument
> equals first inlet, or are there some other structure/system to it?

Even if it seems there is, there is not. Do never ever rely on
assumptions of style in Max. Always open the help file and figure it out
yourself. Most questions are already answered by simple trial and error
tests within a help file.

> There are no system.

There is no system
(though do design your own patches in a way as if there is a system,
which will help you and those who would use your patches, you can
explain it in the documentation)

Even in cases where there ought to be a system, like the left to right
order of outlet fireing, do not rely on it always – if in doubt, test
it… (printing each outlet to the Max window will show the order)

Stefan


Stefan Tiedje————x——-
–_____———–|————–
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
– _|_)—-|—–()————–
———-()——–www.ccmix.com

#80156

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.