Forums > MaxMSP

Newcomer question. Timing.

April 21, 2009 | 2:47 am

I’ve just started learning Max, so my question is about timing. Can Max be optimized for use in rewire slave mode with sample accurate midi timing? I did some very weak patches and can hear the timing in fast midi events sound like an old times hardware synth. Also can the timing be perfect when using Max as rewire slave and routing midi through it to vst instrument by vst~ object? I’m from Reaktor world. Comparing Max with Reaktor I currently see that the logic, data manipulation is much more developed in Max, but I still dont understand, can I control the timing on a single sample level, as I’m able to do in Reaktor core?

April 25, 2009 | 12:41 pm

People compare Reaktor and Max often, trying to understand wich one is better for them. Lots of reasons come to count. Very important one is the forum and the community. Being Reaktor user and a forum member for several years I can never imagine a kind of such simple question as above staying with no ansver on Reaktor forum…

April 25, 2009 | 1:29 pm

I’m also new to Max and have the impression that MIDI timing is a weak point.
But hopefully some expert user will disprove it.

April 25, 2009 | 1:53 pm

rewire is probably not the best way to send midi from reaktor to max, even over mac osx or windows midi it would be faster. investigate in about how to use OSC with max and you wont regret it.

to answer your question, max does not receive midi or process data sampleaccurate. (mainly because max is not cubase or reaktor, which are the only programs i know which are handling midi like this)

your timing problem might be simply a wrong DSP setting. in max, the timing accuracy depends on the signal vectorsize of the runtime, even if DSP is turned off. a signal vector size of 32 (thats what reaktor and VST use) will be fine for timing in a max runtime. also turn -> overdrive and -> overdrive in audio intererupt ON when timing matters.

April 25, 2009 | 11:20 pm

Thank you for reply! I see… I thought there maybe some advanced settings for transport syncronisation, processor clock, or something )) I played with vector size, overdrive, got better results but not precise, sample accurate. Autechre music use lots of very fast repetitive sounds, they sound very precise, I know they ure Max alot…

April 26, 2009 | 3:04 am

Max & rewire… hmmmm

A big problem i found is max’s interpretation of midi off events in particular (midi note + zero velocity) = very non-reliable in the extreme!

I too played with the vector size etc, to no avail.

although i found a (not very, but more) reliable work around using the "notegen 16" external

http://www.unm.edu/~panaioti/

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)