Forums > MaxMSP

Nice Tidy Folder Structure

January 3, 2008 | 2:41 pm

Hi,

Is there any way to enter absolute file names in (to read MIDI files for example). The reason I ask is that although I have set up my project folder as a preferred file path, it doesn’t read the MIDI files in my sub folder. I’m getting a lot of files to deal with in my project and I want to be able to tidy it up a bit (a lot).

Cheers

Andy

January 3, 2008 | 2:57 pm

Actually I’m really referring to the file path relative to the parent folder – not the absolute path as obviously this will change from system to system and if the parent folder is moved.

Cheers

Andy

January 3, 2008 | 3:06 pm

Sorry ignore this thread – for some reason it has started to work. I was messing around with some help files for file path objects and it started searching the sub folders all of a sudden. No idea why though.

Andy

January 4, 2008 | 12:32 pm

> I have set up my project folder as a preferred file path

Allow me to advice against such practice. If during development you start working on duplicates in order to be able to go back to a previous version, by say copying the entire folder, you wouldn’t know in which order max is going to search the preferred paths, first the old, or first the new folder? It might be that the main patch loads previous versions of sub patches.

_
johan

January 4, 2008 | 1:11 pm

Right. Allow me a little rant.

You have your main patch and your abstractions together in a patch folder which is of course -not- in the maxmsp/patches folder because the maxmsp/patches folder is inside the applications folder. Your projects are probably on an external disk anyway.

Your patch folder is duplicated for every new version of your patch.

If you want to place abstractions in sub folders of your patch folder, which you want as soon as there are more than two (I personally have around sixty), max will not find them unless you explicitly add that sub folders to the global max search path(!).

Well, of course you want that to happen automatically (–> retrieve the path with thispatcher, append the sub folder name and send that to the filepath object). Problem is, this happens -after- loading your abstractions.

So every time you go to a new version of your patch, the first time the patch starts up, it will load the old abstractions. You will happily go and edit those and only after you restart your patch you’ll find out that you have been editing the old versions.

So cycling ’74, please please please add an option that makes max search for abstractions in sub folders of my patch folder!

Mattijs

January 4, 2008 | 1:16 pm

> So cycling ’74, please please please add an option that makes max search for abstractions in sub folders of my patch folder!
>
> Mattijs
—————————————————-

My sentiment exactly. Answers my question as well as it seems that it is not possible to do this in any easy way at the moment. Glad to see I’m not the only one frustrated by this.

Andy

January 4, 2008 | 1:36 pm

Amen!

On 1/4/08 8:16 AM, "Andy Brennan" wrote:

>
>
>> So cycling ’74, please please please add an option that makes max search for
>> abstractions in sub folders of my patch folder!
>>
>> Mattijs
> —————————————————-
>
> My sentiment exactly. Answers my question as well as it seems that it is not
> possible to do this in any easy way at the moment. Glad to see I’m not the
> only one frustrated by this.
>
> Andy

Cheers
Gary Lee Nelson
Oberlin College
http://www.timara.oberlin.edu/GaryLeeNelson

VG
January 4, 2008 | 3:03 pm

Quote from Mattijs :
"Problem is, this happens -after- loading your abstractions."

Useful trick : make a "launcher" to your patch, that will make this path
retrieval
from [thispatcher] and add appropriate abstractions folder with
[filepath search 0]
*then* launch the patch.

Though it works well most of time, I could observe this technique was
defeated in
some situation, and the added folders not taken into account before
relaunching Max
… but never found out why, or how to make this reproductible.

If anyone knows about this mysterious behaviour… I ‘d be interested.
(Also if anyone know about the mysterious disparition of GL textures
from the
GPU memory… but this mystery is maybe for another list’s Sherlockit
Clayton)

..Vincent
http://www.pucemuse.com

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)