Forums > Jitter

NIKON D300 streaming via USB

October 9, 2008 | 9:23 am

hi there,

NIKON has a wonderfull software called Camera Control Pro.
the DSLR Nikon is connected via USB to the computer, and the Camera can be controlled via this software.
the interesting thing is, that you get live image feed.

does somebody have an idea, how i could get this image into Jitter?

thank you very much of any comment

imud


October 9, 2008 | 2:53 pm

you can use gPhoto to script your Nikon camera
http://gphoto.wiki.sourceforge.net/Capture

http://www.ynse.net/2006/09/10/gphoto2-on-mac-osx/

i am a loyal canon user, for a long time they offered an sdk to interface
their cameras which allowed for developers to put out applications like
psremote – which aside from the basic functions you can find in Nikon camera
control pro – gives you a dll interface you can put into your code. also for
canon there is chdk firmware hack, but this is not for remote ptpip (search
for this keyword, its the standard in remote camera control).

Running PSRemote (canon only) from other programs -

http://www.breezesys.co.uk/PSRemote/help/index.html?psremotelib.htm

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 11:23 AM, Dee Imutt wrote:
>
> hi there,
>
> NIKON has a wonderfull software called Camera Control Pro.
> the DSLR Nikon is connected via USB to the computer, and the Camera can be
controlled via this software.
> the interesting thing is, that you get live image feed.
>
> does somebody have an idea, how i could get this image into Jitter?
>
> thank you very much of any comment
>
> imud


October 9, 2008 | 3:05 pm

simplest way is to automate (automator?) the nikon program and monitor the
directory it captures to with ubumenu or javascript/java

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 4:53 PM, yair reshef wrote:

>
> you can use gPhoto to script your Nikon camera
> http://gphoto.wiki.sourceforge.net/Capture
> http://www.ynse.net/2006/09/10/gphoto2-on-mac-osx/
>
> i am a loyal canon user, for a long time they offered an sdk to interface
> their cameras which allowed for developers to put out applications like
> psremote – which aside from the basic functions you can find in Nikon camera
> control pro – gives you a dll interface you can put into your code. also for
> canon there is chdk firmware hack, but this is not for remote ptpip (search
> for this keyword, its the standard in remote camera control).
>
> Running PSRemote (canon only) from other programs -
> http://www.breezesys.co.uk/PSRemote/help/index.html?psremotelib.htm
>
>
>
> On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 11:23 AM, Dee Imutt wrote:
> >
> > hi there,
> >
> > NIKON has a wonderfull software called Camera Control Pro.
> > the DSLR Nikon is connected via USB to the computer, and the Camera can
> be controlled via this software.
> > the interesting thing is, that you get live image feed.
> >
> > does somebody have an idea, how i could get this image into Jitter?
> >
> > thank you very much of any comment
> >
> > imud
>
>


October 10, 2008 | 11:33 am

great , thank you.

going in the direction of using a program like gphoto
sounds the right way to go, because i am looking for
ways, to use my DSLR to give me real-time imaging
like a video camera. Capturing the images to disk first would
give me only a few images per minute.

Yair, how shall i imagine, gphoto is sending the images to Jitter? And would that be a live feed?


October 10, 2008 | 11:42 am

no, afaik, there is another type of programs that will allow you to use
cameras as "webcams" but i have no experiance with this.
http://www.google.co.il/search?q=digital+camera+to+webcam
and dont expect much control

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 1:33 PM, Dee Imutt wrote:

>
> great , thank you.
>
> going in the direction of using a program like gphoto
> sounds the right way to go, because i am looking for
> ways, to use my DSLR to give me real-time imaging
> like a video camera. Capturing the images to disk would
> give me only a few images per minute.
>
> Yair, how shall i imagine, gphoto is sending the images to Jitter? And
> would that be a live feed?
>


October 10, 2008 | 12:56 pm

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 1:33 PM, Dee Imutt wrote:

>
> going in the direction of using a program like gphoto
> sounds the right way to go, because i am looking for
> ways, to use my DSLR to give me real-time imaging
> like a video camera. Capturing the images to disk would
> give me only a few images per minute.
>
>
Wouldn’t your reflex mirror be in the way to start with? I know my 350D can
take pictures with the mirror flipped up before you take the actual picture,
but I would be surprised if you can get a live feed from your sensor
directly. Apart from the physical aspect I expect the processor in your
camera is limited to "only" a few pictures per second anyway, depending on
the format your shooting.

If I’m wrong I’d love to hear about it. It sure would make a nice quality
video camera:)

Other digital photo camera’s (non DSLR) capture video at low resolution,
because they are not powerful enough to do this at photo resolutions.

Thijs


October 10, 2008 | 1:01 pm

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 2:56 PM, Thijs Koerselman

> wrote:

>
> On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 1:33 PM, Dee Imutt wrote:
>
>>
>> going in the direction of using a program like gphoto
>> sounds the right way to go, because i am looking for
>> ways, to use my DSLR to give me real-time imaging
>> like a video camera. Capturing the images to disk would
>> give me only a few images per minute.
>>
>>
> Wouldn’t your reflex mirror be in the way to start with? I know my 350D can
> take pictures with the mirror flipped up before you take the actual picture,
> but I would be surprised if you can get a live feed from your sensor
> directly. Apart from the physical aspect I expect the processor in your
> camera is limited to "only" a few pictures per second anyway, depending on
> the format your shooting.
>

Oops, misread your few pictures per minute for pictures per second :)

If that rate is ok with you I guess it should be possible to get something
close to the max fps your camera can handle.

Thijs


October 13, 2008 | 4:56 am

i dug this out of my scrapbook and came across some more info

http://aggregate.org/DIT/peepfish/#sub:Camera-Control-Schizophrenia

the link itself is very useful, i used the door peephole lens trick for an
installation and if you need to track people from above in a space with low
ceiling its very good.

http://rapidshare.com/files/153483530/fisheye_lens_cropped.avi-Desktop.m4v

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 3:01 PM, Thijs Koerselman

> wrote:

>
> On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 2:56 PM, Thijs Koerselman <
> thijskoerselman@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 1:33 PM, Dee Imutt wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> going in the direction of using a program like gphoto
>>> sounds the right way to go, because i am looking for
>>> ways, to use my DSLR to give me real-time imaging
>>> like a video camera. Capturing the images to disk would
>>> give me only a few images per minute.
>>>
>>>
>> Wouldn’t your reflex mirror be in the way to start with? I know my 350D
>> can take pictures with the mirror flipped up before you take the actual
>> picture, but I would be surprised if you can get a live feed from your
>> sensor directly. Apart from the physical aspect I expect the processor in
>> your camera is limited to "only" a few pictures per second anyway, depending
>> on the format your shooting.
>>
>
> Oops, misread your few pictures per minute for pictures per second :)
>
> If that rate is ok with you I guess it should be possible to get something
> close to the max fps your camera can handle.
>
> Thijs
>
>
>
>
>


December 21, 2008 | 9:14 pm

What about just using jitter to fire the shutter? To use a camera like this (mine is actually the d90) to do stop-motion in jitter.


June 15, 2010 | 2:00 pm

I know it is fairly old but I had the same question: How to trigger a Nikon using Max and gphoto. After installing gphoto2 via Macports I downloaded the shell external from http://www.publicbeta.cx/maxx/. Now I was able to fire my Nikon D50 with this command: /opt/local/var/macports/software/gphoto2/2.4.9_0/opt/local/bin/gphoto2 –capture-image-and-download
For some reason I still can’t get the usb permissions on OS X to let me capture pictures on the SSD-card. That’s why I use "–capture-image-and-download"

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

Hope this helps


June 15, 2010 | 6:35 pm

I downloaded the shell object but it still gave me errors. Do you use max5 and have to tested it lately?


Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)