Forums > MaxMSP

Nintendo Wii and Max/MSP

October 11, 2010 | 10:47 pm

HI folks,

I am new to Max/MSP and would like to try out to connect a Wii wireless controller to Max/MSP to do real time signal control. How do I exactly connect it? Do I need the sensor bar or just the controller?

Thank you so much for enlightening me.

October 12, 2010 | 10:17 am

Search on maxobjects.com for Wii and you’ll find a few objects that handle it like aka.wiimote. You can use the accelerometer data without a sensor bar, but you’ll need one if you want the IR data. You can get wireless ones or apparently use two candles!

If you are on a Mac then DarwinRemote is a pretty good application that you can route any button/sensor data to anywhere with.

EMV
October 13, 2010 | 5:57 pm

And if you search this forum for ‘wii’, you can find many interesting patches and info from other people that did this.

October 14, 2010 | 5:33 am

Thank you so much guys for the info.

To Steven Miller: Can you use just the controller to control Max or you have to use with Motion Plus? I assume that you don’t need the sensor bar, right? Do you have any simple example patch of how to the [udpreceive] and [OSC-route] object to connect via oSCulator? I am a Max dummy kind of guy. That would enlighten me a lot.

Thank you very much.

October 14, 2010 | 8:03 am

You can use just the controller…the Motion Plus just gives additional (and more accurate) control over direction and 3-axis rotation, if I recall correctly.

If you follow the ‘search this forum’ link in the previous reply from EMV, you’ll find my example patch among them in response to an earlier post a few months back. BTW – you’ll need to download the CNMAT objects for the OSC-route, etc.

October 14, 2010 | 4:53 pm

thank you, steven. I will.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)