Forums > MaxMSP

no access to dsp status

October 13, 2006 | 2:12 pm

Hello,

I’ve a new Macbookpro with a Fireface 400 soundcard (all the drivers are up to date and the soundcard works with other softwares.

I recently downloaded Max/msp runtime to makes some tests with a patch someone wrote for me.

The 4.6.1 runtime version does’nt work because of :
"loading old CFM externals disabled". but I can access to dsp status.

So I tried with the 4.5.7 version. The patch appears to load well, but I can’t access to dsp status (There ‘s normally a button to access there in the control window of my patch) so only the internal microphone and speakers work.

I had exactly the same problem with an older computer (not on macintel) a few months ago.
Does anyone know what to do to resolve this problem ?

I would like to try before buying the full version

Thnaks in advance,

ben


October 16, 2006 | 1:32 pm

I don’t think this was replied to, so I’ll pitch in…

> The 4.6.1 runtime version does’nt work because of :
> "loading old CFM externals disabled". but I can access to dsp status.

CFM support is an installation option for Max/MSP 4.6.x – it sounds
as if this copy was installed without CFM. All the packaged patchers
and externals are Mach-O, which is why the DSP Status patcher works.

> So I tried with the 4.5.7 version. The patch appears to load well,
> but I can’t access to dsp status (There ‘s normally a button to
> access there in the control window of my patch) so only the
> internal microphone and speakers work.

4.5.7 was a PowerPC release, so an Intel Mac will run it under
Rosetta emulation, and not give it access to audio hardware over and
above the built-in stereo.

– N.

nick rothwell — composition, systems, performance — http://
http://www.cassiel.com


October 16, 2006 | 1:59 pm

>CFM support is an installation option for Max/MSP 4.6.x – it >sounds
>as if this copy was installed without CFM. All the packaged >patchers
>and externals are Mach-O, which is why the DSP Status patcher >works.

Many thanks for your answer,
I tried to reinstall the max/msp 4.6.2 runtime,
and simply followed the readme instructions document,
but there was no option for disabling or enabling CFM support.

Where can I find this ?

Many thanks in advance,
ben.


October 16, 2006 | 3:14 pm

On 16 Oct 2006, at 14:59, ben wrote:

> I tried to reinstall the max/msp 4.6.2 runtime,
> and simply followed the readme instructions document,
> but there was no option for disabling or enabling CFM support.

Oh, hang on – I had a temporary brain failure. You’re on an Intel
Mac, yes? If so, there’s no support for PowerPC externals at all
(apart from running the entire shebang under Rosetta), so CFM
binaries are a non-starter. The CFM library is to allow old PowerPC
binaries to run under the new Mach-O Max/MSP, on PowerPC only.

So I guess the error messager is misleading: when it says

"loading old CFM externals disabled"

it doesn’t mean "I can’t adapt CFM PowerPC binaries to Mach-O
PowerPC", it means "I’m an Intel."

– N.

nick rothwell — composition, systems, performance — http://
http://www.cassiel.com


October 16, 2006 | 4:06 pm

so do I understand what you say :

for A Macintel,

- 4.6.2 won’t undestand any external libraries (under power pc)

- 4.5.7 with rosetta doesn’t allow me to use my sound card with max/msp ?

So there’s no solution for me ?
except replace those libraries ?

What I don’t understand also is:
Isn’t there thousands of people who are in the same case than mine ?????

Many thanks for your answer,

ben


October 16, 2006 | 5:21 pm

Quote: ben100@infonie.fr wrote on Mon, 16 October 2006 09:06
—————————————————-
> so do I understand what you say :
>
> for A Macintel,
>
> – 4.6.2 won’t undestand any external libraries (under power pc)
>

Right. Max 4.6.2 on Intel needs Universal Binary or Intel-specific objects. I assume you mean external objects when you say "libraries".

> – 4.5.7 with rosetta doesn’t allow me to use my sound card with max/msp ?
>

This hasn’t been the case for me — I used my MOTU 828 in a concert last week using 4.5.7. It certainly has access to all the CoreAudio Devices I’ve used.

> What I don’t understand also is:
> Isn’t there thousands of people who are in the same case than mine ?????
>

Probably more like hundreds :) There has been some pretty substantial progress on the development of UB externals. While the percentage of possible externals is low, I think many of the most useful, or my personal favorite, externals have been ported.

And I still keep 4.5.7 around for some things. I did an odd performance last month where 4.6 and 4.5.7 were communicating using OSC, just to give me access to a old patch.

mzed


October 18, 2006 | 10:02 pm

One more question :
You said :
////
4.5.7 was a PowerPC release, so an Intel Mac will run it under
Rosetta emulation, and not give it access to audio hardware over and above the built-in stereo.
/////
I don’t understand Why the fireface 400 can’t work with rosetta.
And also, if I just wanted to use built-in soundcard, I should have
an acces to the DSP status, no ?

So may be my problem isn’t beetween rosetta and the fireface, but with the fireface and max/msp 4.5
What could I do to resolve this ?????

ben


October 18, 2006 | 10:24 pm

> What could I do to resolve this ?????
>

Use MaxMSP 4.6.2

If your DSP Status window isn’t available, you’ve probably got something
screwy in your file preferences. I recommend deleting your Max
Preferences folders and trying again.

Cheers,
Andrew B.


October 19, 2006 | 10:07 am

>Use MaxMSP 4.6.2
not possible because of the externals !

>If your DSP Status window isn’t available, you’ve probably got >something

>screwy in your file preferences. I recommend deleting your Max
>Preferences folders and trying again.

I did it but nothing has changed.

Any other solution ?
Thanks,

ben


October 19, 2006 | 10:49 am

Is there a ‘/’ in your search path, eg. a folder
called Max/MSP ?
cheers
Roger

— ben wrote:

>
> >Use MaxMSP 4.6.2
> not possible because of the externals !
>
> >If your DSP Status window isn’t available, you’ve
> probably got >something
>
>
> >screwy in your file preferences. I recommend
> deleting your Max
> >Preferences folders and trying again.
>
> I did it but nothing has changed.
>
> Any other solution ?
> Thanks,
>
> ben
>


October 19, 2006 | 10:59 am

On 19 oct. 06, at 12:07, ben wrote:

>> screwy in your file preferences. I recommend deleting your Max
>> Preferences folders and trying again.
>
> I did it but nothing has changed.
>
> Any other solution ?

What is the path of your MaxMSP 4.6 folder? Does it contain a slash?

ej


October 24, 2006 | 8:07 pm

What is the path of your MaxMSP 4.6 folder? Does it contain a slash?

ej
////////
Is there a ‘/’ in your search path, eg. a folder
called Max/MSP ?
cheers
Roger
/////////////

No slash in any folder.

Finally, I took the "DSP Status.pat"
file from the 4.6.2 version, and put it in the
MaxMSP4.5>patches>editors folder.

No this works on 4.5. …

But other problems are waiting for me !

ben


Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)