[nooob] how to use groove~ in step sequencer situation?

Aug 26, 2010 at 10:01am

[nooob] how to use groove~ in step sequencer situation?

Hello, friends

I made a little step sequencer thing to trigger drum loops.
For some reason, I want to use [buffer~] rather than [sfplay~],
But here comes some problems when playback with [groove~].
I use some 4 bar drum loop here.

It seems that when the loop is off, following functions do not work.

1.reverse playback by feeding -1 to [sig~]. It plays one time and stops.
2.loop in/out points. It plays ‘maybe’ at given start point but do not stop at the given end point but continues on the length of the sample.

in both cases, if I turn on the loop, then it will work, but instead of follow my sequence, it will just loop over and over loop length.
That’s not what I want. I want that the loop follows my sequence’s triggering, playback maybe 100ms, then shut up and wait until I check another toggle in my sequencer.
When I use [sfplay~] it works like that. But I want to use [groove~] to take advantage of various [buffer~] functions.

Is there a way to not to activate ‘loop’ in [groove~] but still dynamically adjust loop length and playback in reverse speed? All this in step sequencer friendly manner?

I hope that my question is clear…

Thank you very much.

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
Aug 26, 2010 at 10:08am

update:

‘loop in’ points works, but not ‘loop out’ point.

Aug 26, 2010 at 11:58pm

if you want to play backwards without loop you need to tell groove from where to start playing (playing from 0 to 0 won’t make much sense). so you need to know the end of the file if you tell it to play backwards…

Aug 27, 2010 at 9:10am

someone call my name?

don’t have the lfosimple object so i get the error message: “lfoSimple_millisec: No such object”
and instead cut that part out of your patch to use transport instead, switched out all the toggles with a matrixctrl because it’s less messy(easier and more efficient to deal with) and then gave you some other stuff to play with:

hope it helps.

Aug 27, 2010 at 10:18am

oh sorry, you want to dynamically change playback length… and you also want looping or non-looping, o.k. thing about groove~ is that the looppoints, particularly, the end loop-point, only matters when loop is on. otherwise, startloop or a number in the left inlet will cause it to start playback from the number specified (or from the beginning loop point in the case of ‘startloop’) and then play ’til the end of the file. you have to specifically tell it to stop(if you want it to stop before the end of the file is reached) when looping is off…

anyways, here’s a slight mod for variable playback length and looping:

Aug 28, 2010 at 8:59am

hey, noob!

thanks for the help and sorry for late thanks.

I’ve gone through the two patches and they were very good study materials for me, thank you. oh, by the way, the part that you couldn’t open was just a [phasor~] outputs bang. for some reason, I do not like use transport…how can I post patch here that include abstractions…? as a separated files?

I think my question need to be more focused and precise to prevent misunderstandings though…

thanks again for the super helps, brother.
you rock.

best,

jae ho

Aug 28, 2010 at 4:47pm

“how can I post patch here that include abstractions…? as a separated files?”

you can either post them one after the other like so:

and another:

or you can zip all your patches up in .zip and attach it to threads(using the “Upload Files From Your Computer” section of the forum posting UI).

Glad it helped, even if only a little, best of luck!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.