Forums > MaxMSP

Novice Question (can't get sound from Max 5)

September 12, 2008 | 4:32 pm

I’m running a Macbook with OSx 10.5.

I’ve got an aggregate device created with the built in input and the built in output which I have been using without problem in Plogue (I’m new to Max). However, I can’t get any audio to play in Max. Opening the DSP window I can see that there is audio data being input, but nothing registers in the output graphs.

Any suggestions? I’m stumped here.

Thanks in advance!

September 12, 2008 | 5:46 pm

What if you use the standard input/output driver (not aggregate), does it
work?
If not, you could maybe send the patch you’re using.
J-F.

>
> I’ve got an aggregate device created with the built in input and the built in
> output which I have been using without problem in Plogue (I’m new to Max).
> However, I can’t get any audio to play in Max. Opening the DSP window I can
> see that there is audio data being input, but nothing registers in the output
> graphs.
>
> Any suggestions? I’m stumped here.

September 12, 2008 | 6:35 pm

Should the output graphs in the DSP window mirror those for the inputs? (i.e. when i see input audio being registered, should i see it in the output graphs as well?)

I tried to check the audio by connecting an ezadc~ object to a gain slider.. but i cant hear anything being output.

i tried it with the standard input/output with the same results.

thanks in advance!

September 12, 2008 | 6:49 pm

You’re not going to hear anything from the output by connecting a gain slider to ezadc~.

Have you tried any of the tutorials, yet?

Also, what do you mean by DSP window and ‘output graphs’? There are no ‘output graphs’ in the DSP window. If the DSP window shows your Aggregate Device selected as the ‘Driver’, then go to the Extras menu, select Audiotester, click the speaker icon in the bottom section (above the Gain slider) to turn on the audio (it will be yellow if on and gray if off) and select Oscillator in the Source dropdown menu.

September 12, 2008 | 6:52 pm

I was trying to work out this tutorial: http://www.cycling74.com/story/2008/3/12/142316/512

I was trying to get this to work: "Once you have verified that everything is working properly and the levels on your preamp or mixer are correct, it is time to get patching! The first thing you’ll want to do is plop an adc~ or ezadc~ object into your patch. The ezadc~ object is nice because it provides visual feedback that the audio is turned on. This object provides our audio input to MaxMSP. From there, I would recommend using a gain~ slider to provide input level control. Go ahead and route the output of the gain~ slider to a dac~/ezdac~ object, and voila! We have the most basic signal path possible. Now once you are done rolling your eyes, turn on your audio and listen to see if you hear your guitar signal. This should sound like a clean guitar signal. If you hear any clipping or distortion, it means that the levels are too high and you need to turn down the levels on the preamp stage. Congratulations, you just made your first guitar patch"

but… perhaps im getting ahead of myself, im working through the basic tutorials now. just wanted to make sure that connectivity wouldnt be an issue later on…

edit: oops, i meant the audiotester :) thanks

thanks again!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)