Forums > Dev

number and flonum objects not found

March 7, 2013 | 12:09 pm

I'm struggling to find any others with this issue online, so I thought I'd make a post here.

I'm running Max6 on Windows 7, and am building my own additive synth external in C. It seems that whenever I load a patch which contains this external, that patch won't know what a number or flonum object is. Then say, if I copy and paste the contents of that patch to a new patching window, suddenly it knows what number and flonum are. Has anybody else had this issue?

Any guidance appreciated. Thank you.

S

[attachment=216888,5125]

Attachments:
  1. whatisanumber.png

March 7, 2013 | 12:52 pm

Hi,

this seems strange. My initial guess would be one of these three things:
(1) You took an XCode/Visual Studio example to start with the development, and forgot to rename a few things among the settings, like the name of your new object (as far as I can remember, on Windows you also have a separate module.def file (or similar) where you have to name your object, but I’m not on Windows, so I’m not sure).
(2) You’re doing something very nasty in your external, specially when you instantiate/register it.
(3) You have ANY file in your search path that is called ‘number’.

Other than the above, I can’t think of anything else…

HTH,
Ádám


March 7, 2013 | 4:53 pm

Thanks for the quick response! :)

You were right about starting with a project example. But I believe everything is correctly re-named, including the .def file.

This problem first started happening a few days after I began working on conformSynth~. So just now, I removed conformSynth~ from the msp-externals folder completely. The object shouldn’t exist in Max anymore. But when I load the patch, it still doesn’t recognise number. I believe this should rule out guess 2, right?

So I created a new patch, inserted one number object (all fine – it seems to know where number is if you start from a new patch), then saved. When I load the patch again, it can’t find the number object. Now I realise that the problem doesn’t depend on conformSynth~ being present in the patch. This is really weird.

So I installed Max 6.1 (I was using 6.0.7 before). Again, no change. Perhaps I could completely uninstall and reinstall Max 6 this evening.

I’m still not sure if there is a file in my search path called ‘number’. I haven’t created any files with this name myself. I searched in the Cycling ’74 folder a found a few things, but they all look like they’re meant to be there.

Many thanks for your ideas Ádám. I hope some of this new information I posted might reveal somewhere else that I’ve gone wrong.

Regards,

S

EDIT: just found a workaround. If I start a new project, create some number and flonum objects, I can then successfully load up any patch I’ve saved to my hard drive. This isn’t ideal of course, and I’m still worried that my software is unwell, but at least I will be able to meet my deadlines… I will continue to search for a real solution for this problem.


Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)