Forums > MaxMSP

Number box colours

March 17, 2011 | 3:15 pm

Hi,

Anyone else slightly irritated by this problem ? Although you can apparently set the colors of a number or flonum box and their Border Color, when you build an application or even open the patch on another computer the colors go back to the Max default. This would be understandable for early versions of Max 5, but we’re now at 5.1.7.

A work round, involving sending messages to "universal" has been suggested, though this doesn’t always work, and anyway would set all instances to the same colors.I like to have a different color for boxes that just display information without being able to change it, and don’t like the ‘Triangle" option. To achieve this I end up with sending the colors from one place to receive boxes all over complicated patches, and loads of patch cords.

Every other object seems to remember its set colors, so it shouldn’t be too hard to make number and flonum behave the same way.

A request for inclusion in the next incremental update.

Ciao,

Dave

March 17, 2011 | 4:40 pm

Hi Dave,

Can you better describe how you are setting the number box border color when it fails in a standalone? If I make a new patch, make a numbox, change the border color (and any other number of box attributes), then build an application out of it, when I launch the app, the colors are as I had specified them.

If you do not explicitly set these attributes, they will use whatever defaults you have specified in the ‘object defaults’, which is stored in your Max 5 Preference folder. You can also specify a different name/location for standalone preferences files by using the standalone object and setting the @preffilename in it’s inspector.

-Ben

March 25, 2011 | 5:06 pm

Hi Ben.

< < I make a new patch, make a numbox, change the border color (and any other number of box attributes), then build an application out of it, when I launch the app, the colors are as I had specified them.

If you do not explicitly set these attributes, they will use whatever defaults you have specified in the ‘object defaults’, which is stored in your Max 5 Preference folder.>>

That’s exactly what I have been doing. When I build an application, or open the patch on a different computer (with different max preferences) the colors revert to the default preferences.Most work done with Mac OS 10.4.11, Max 5.7, though I’ve had the same problem with Mac OS 10.5.8 and 10.6.

< >

So, how would I produce a preference file to do this ??

Ciao,

Dave

March 25, 2011 | 5:20 pm

Hi Dave,

Not sure what the problem could be, can’t repro here on a variety of machines.

Choosing to have a separate preferences folder for your app will create the prefs folder in the user library that it is run on. It will use whatever preferences Max has when the application is built. You must use this if you want your application to use something other than the default Max Preferences.

-Ben

March 29, 2011 | 2:32 pm

Hi Ben,

Curiouser and curiouser. I’ve now tried building the same application on three computers running different versions of Mac OS: 10.4.11, 10.5.8 and 10.6.4. Even though I’ve set the background, text and border colors of the number and flonum objects they keep reverting to the Max default, even though I have set up new defaults for these. Other objects, like text button etc, seem to behave perfectly.

Ciao,

Dave

March 29, 2011 | 4:01 pm

Hi Dave,

No idea what could be going on here. As I said, I made a very simple patch and looked at it on a variety of computers and the modified colors persisted. It seems like there might be something else isn’t being communicated/understood.

Drop a note to support at cycling74 dot com with a very simple patch, as well as a compiled standalone that exhibits the problem. Also, include numbered steps for your procedure for creating the patch, modifying the colors, and compiling the standalone.

-Ben

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)