Forums > MaxMSP

numbering [out~ ?] & [out ?] in poly

kp*
November 21, 2009 | 10:16 am

if you have multiple outputs in a poly~ patcher and some are signals [out~]
and some are message based [out 1]

how do you do number the outlets? Since out~ and out are different objects do you start numbering each from 1? or once you have (say) used out~1, and now want and out you say out 2?

is it this:

[out~ 1] [out~ 2] [out 1] [out 2]

or:

[out~ 1] [out~ 2] [out 3] [out 4]

November 21, 2009 | 11:02 am

The help file shows that it’s the first of the two options. With the inlets it is different, there you need to continue numbering if you desire additional inputs. The same logic holds for pfft~. In max inlets can be of a different type, outlets not.

kp*
November 21, 2009 | 11:19 am
jvkr wrote on Sat, 21 November 2009 20:02
The help file shows that it’s the first of the two options.

I don’t doubt that this is true, but for the life of me i don’t see that in the help file. User error i am sure, but i just don’t see where this is stated.

jvkr wrote on Sat, 21 November 2009 20:02
With the inlets it is different, there you need to continue numbering if you desire additional inputs. The same logic holds for pfft~. In max inlets can be of a different type, outlets not.

oh. that’s idiosyncratic. glad i asked. Thanks!

-kp

November 21, 2009 | 12:34 pm
Quote:
I don’t doubt that this is true, but for the life of me i don’t see that in the help file.

The help file should probably say: double-click me to view content (referring to the poly~ object). Looking at the content, you can see the logic of inlet and outlet numbering in relation to inlet and outlet creation. (Sometimes help files are a bit cryptic.)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)