+= object reset in gen~?

Dec 30, 2011 at 3:07pm

+= object reset in gen~?

Hello,

I’m new to gen, and I have some troubles using the += object.
I need to sometimes reset to zero the accumulated sum, to begin again a new calculation.
How should I do it?

I’ve seen that sending a non zero value to the right inlet seems to reset the accumulated sum to zero, but even sending a zero value after sending the non zero one, the sum stays to zero…

Is it a bug or a misunderstanding on my part?

BTW is there a Gen forum? Or should all gen related question be in the Max/MSP forum?

Dec 30, 2011 at 3:32pm

When bringing it back to the basics, it seems to work.

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

There might be something else going on. In the case you want to reset based on the output level of +=, do you use the history object (to allow feedback)?

Dec 30, 2011 at 5:27pm

Thanks a lot for your answer,

it works indeed… I didn’t knew the click~ object, which is better for testing than my other attempts…

It seems my problem is not related to this then, and I have to search again.

So now it no more += directly related.

My goal is to perform some sort of integration on an audio signal. and the range of integration could be changed by the user.

So I simply use an += object which add each arriving sample, and substract each arriving sample from a delayed copy of the signal.

it works well, except when I try to change the range of integration (i.e. the value of the delay object). I also need to reset the += object to restart a new integration with a new range.
Doesn’t work.

Or maybe there is a better way to do this?

anyway, I’m still searching…

Dec 31, 2011 at 3:12am

Post your code and we can be of more help…

I’d look at change -> != 0 attached to your range value (actually, I’d probably do change -> == 0 -> delta -> == 1 (which is: send a pulse when you stop changing)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.