Oculus Rift

May 7, 2013 at 2:15pm

Oculus Rift

Heya,
anyone else here got an oculus rift? (I bet some folks do!)

I’ve been playing with a sterescopic patch shared on the forums by Perry Hoberman: http://www.perryhoberman.com/page44/index.html
and I’ve modified it for the oculus rift. It’s still a work in progress but it includes a mostly finished jit.gl.pix shader to compensate for the rifts optics.

no head tracking yet – managed to see the head tracker as a hi device but it wasn’t spitting anything out. Haven’t dug any further.
Would love to connect with anyone else experimenting with this!

bob.

May 26, 2013 at 6:46pm

Hey ZEAL!

I’m not currently experimenting with the Rift, but hope to be soon. I’m especially interested in the head tracking, so if anyone does get some data from the tracker, I’d love to hear about it!

Thanks,

Yves

Jul 9, 2013 at 7:22am

any progress?

Jul 18, 2013 at 8:59pm

currently occupied by other projects. Hope the patch is a head start for anyone who wants to investigate further.

Aug 6, 2013 at 3:42pm

I have an oculus dev kit.

Really just looking to get the head tracking data in msp.

Anyone have any luck or somewhere they can point me?

Thanks,
Brandon

Jan 13, 2014 at 4:19pm

Hi I just get the kit today and would like to play with it a little bit using Jitter did you get any progress with the head tracking ?

Jan 15, 2014 at 3:42pm

Nope, haven’t dug any further. Only a start to stereoscopic rendering and display.

Jan 22, 2014 at 10:34pm

It’s been over a week, so quick check if anyone made progress on head tracking since the last post. If not, I will take a decent stab at it over the next short while, will post a patch and instructions here if I manage to get it.

I have a good track record, got Kinect and recently Move data coming into Max (Win only for now, with ports planned in the future to Mac OS).

Thanks to Zeal for the stereoscopic starting point. We have a really fun project planned that anyone can try if they get all the same hardware we’ll be using.

Feb 4, 2014 at 2:46pm

Just adding an update, the work is not all done yet, but I am confident I will be able to share a small utility to help the head tracking data to get into Max. Using Zeal’s shared patch as a test, we will be able to see that Rift head tracking data will be able to drive the rotations about XYZ axes via an OSC stream hacked onto the Rift SDK’s SensorBoxTest.

For C# hacks I tended towards the Ventuz.OSC.dll for simplicity, but in this case I will be trying out this oscpack utility: http://www.rossbencina.com/code/oscpack

I don’t see any more obstacles in the way of getting this, just a matter of time. Since I have a project to get this working for, it’s safe to expect that I will share the utility along with a modified version of Zeal’s patch showing it all working together.

Can anyone volunteer to help me test that I don’t accidentally release it in a way where it actually only works on my machine?

And sorry that this will be a bit of a hack, the reason being I would rather take my time integrating this into a larger project I am doing called “GestureLab”, that will be a central interfacing application for HCI devices (Wiimote, Kinect, PS Move, Rift, etc.) that will have Max in mind as its initial output destination, but could go on to support other output destinations as well eventually (music applications, Unity, etc.)

Feb 4, 2014 at 4:17pm

I can help test. sounds great. you can get me at bob(at)zealousy(dot)com.

Feb 9, 2014 at 2:37am

Thanks! Looks like I will definitely need a tiny bit of help with the tail end of this, but maybe I can send you what I have so far and we can probably work out the rest.

I have the option of sending quaternions or converted euler angles into Max, which is still a step away from the nice degree-based rotatexyz option your patch defaults to (though I notice other options such as quat which look promising).

The trick here is to get the data where it needs to go with the minimum number of conversions so as to prevent loss of precision. (for example, notice the note for quat2euler object here: http://www.maxobjects.com/?v=libraries&id_library=111 , which goes as far back as SIGGRAPH 1985, see here, where he warns the same: http://www.cs.ucr.edu/~vbz/resources/quatut.pdf )

I am a CS animation student at the moment, so I hesitate to claim to know the best course of action.

Shall I send you what I have so far? (also, do you have a VS2010 environment already set up by chance?)

Feb 9, 2014 at 3:00am

Sounds good. shoot me what you’ve got. Don’t have VS2010 set up right now but need to get it going for other max external work anyway so yes, send me source as well.

Just got one of these little fellas – http://ovrvision.com/ – so I’m keen to get back into some rift experimentation.

Bob.

Feb 9, 2014 at 3:09am

Should have held out a little longer before my last message – success! I have managed to pipe the quaternion data directly without any conversions.

I’ll send it all over momentarily, and cool, I didn’t know there were 3rd party accessories for the Rift already!

Feb 17, 2014 at 12:34pm

Hi Oculo-Maxists,

I’m also interested in helping out if you need more hands. I’m on a Mac set up if that still matters. That ovr vision business is pretty rad, btw.

I’m at tennie[dot]here[at]gmail.

Let me know what I can do to help.
Cheers,

mattt.

Apr 2, 2014 at 2:06pm

Hey mattt. Do you have Bootcamp set up on your Mac?

Do you have a Kinect by chance? Either way, we are trying to work on a slight bit of overlap on the far left/right edges of the displays for Rift alone.

With Kinect involved I’m also working on a slightly trickier problem.

Apr 15, 2014 at 8:35am

please

I am a student in interactive visual arts and I am working on different projects using the Oculus Rift, and I would like to be able to implement its usage in Max / Msp. The only problem is I have no idea how to get the head tracking data inside Max.

If anyone has some progress on how to get the head tracking data in Max / Msp, please, send me a message or share your patch here. It seems like the only thread about that subject anywhere as far as I know.

You can reach me at guillaumebou (at) gmail (dot) com

Thank you

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.