Forums > MaxMSP

Off topic, advice on Audio interface please :-)

October 1, 2007 | 1:49 pm

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone here has had any experiences or knows about
the Presonus Firebox Interface:

http://www.turnkey.co.uk/web/productAction.do?
dispatch=showProduct&SKU=PSON-FIREBOX&context=WEB

I have finally managed to sell my mbox 2 for a reasonable price and
am looking for a new device to use with dp and max/msp and other DSP
software (not protools!).

Any adivce or ideas are much appreciated.

Many Thanks
Peiman


October 1, 2007 | 2:16 pm

Quote: peimankhosravi@gmail.com wrote on Mon, 01 October 2007 15:49
—————————————————-
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if anyone here has had any experiences or knows about
> the Presonus Firebox Interface:
>
> http://www.turnkey.co.uk/web/productAction.do?
> dispatch=showProduct&SKU=PSON-FIREBOX&context=WEB
>
> I have finally managed to sell my mbox 2 for a reasonable price and
> am looking for a new device to use with dp and max/msp and other DSP
> software (not protools!).

Haha, I hear some frustrations there..

Don’t know about Presonus Firebox but M-Audio devices work fine (and also work with protools M-powered in case you ever need to go back)

>
> Any adivce or ideas are much appreciated.
>
> Many Thanks
> Peiman
>
—————————————————-


October 1, 2007 | 2:34 pm

Frustrations indeed!

Thanks for your reply Mattijs. I will look at M-audio now.

Best
Peiman

On 1 Oct 2007, at 15:16, Mattijs Kneppers wrote:

>
> Quote: peimankhosravi@gmail.com wrote on Mon, 01 October 2007 15:49
> —————————————————-
>> Hello,
>>
>> I was wondering if anyone here has had any experiences or knows about
>> the Presonus Firebox Interface:
>>
>> http://www.turnkey.co.uk/web/productAction.do?
>> dispatch=showProduct&SKU=PSON-FIREBOX&context=WEB
>>
>> I have finally managed to sell my mbox 2 for a reasonable price and
>> am looking for a new device to use with dp and max/msp and other DSP
>> software (not protools!).
>
> Haha, I hear some frustrations there..
>
> Don’t know about Presonus Firebox but M-Audio devices work fine
> (and also work with protools M-powered in case you ever need to go
> back)
>
>>
>> Any adivce or ideas are much appreciated.
>>
>> Many Thanks
>> Peiman
>>
> —————————————————-
>
>
> –
> SmadSteck – http://www.smadsteck.nl
> Hard- and software for interactive audiovisual sampling


October 1, 2007 | 5:24 pm

i have been using the firebox for a year
with MaxMSPJitter
and have had no problems


October 1, 2007 | 11:41 pm

Thanks Don,

That’s what I was hoping to hear, as the price looks great!

Thanks again
Peiman

On 1 Oct 2007, at 18:24, don malone wrote:

>
> i have been using the firebox for a year
> with MaxMSPJitter
> and have had no problems
> –
> it takes all of us
> LoneMonad
> http://faculty.roosevelt.edu/malone/default.htm


October 1, 2007 | 11:54 pm

Hi list,

Does anyone know anything about this message from Max:
‘error 0 creating file’?

0?

Thanks a lot,

Eric L.



jln
October 2, 2007 | 12:03 am


October 2, 2007 | 7:10 pm


October 3, 2007 | 8:37 am


October 3, 2007 | 11:59 am

On 10/3/07, Mattijs Kneppers wrote:
>
>
> If there is someone that has experience with both interfaces, how would
> you compare the Firebox with the M-Audio FW 410?
>
> As far as I can see they are equally priced but the FW 410 has 2 more
> analog outputs, signal indicators for every analog output and 2 separate
> headphone outputs. Sounds like more value for money to me, but I never
> actually used the Firebox.
>
> Mattijs

My 2 cents:
I left my fw410 for a Firebox and I’m really happy ;)
I have less outputs but it sounds like the preamps are better…
A few details that disturbed me with the fw410: those flashing leds when
it’s off and the infinite volume knob.
Also, knobs of the Firebox look more robust (and less fancy).
HTH.



jln
October 3, 2007 | 12:29 pm


October 3, 2007 | 12:37 pm

Ah, thanks for sharing your experiences.

Mattijs


October 3, 2007 | 1:06 pm


October 3, 2007 | 1:10 pm

>This was a couple of months ago. Since then I’ve had my firewire ports tested (no problems there), and replaced the cable (problem persists). I just had the energy to deal with the M-Audio tech guys again.
>

sorry, that should read "I just haven’t had the energy"

(that changes things a bit…)

Need personalized email and website? Look no further. It’s easy
with Doteasy $0 Web Hosting! Learn more at http://www.doteasy.com


October 5, 2007 | 1:18 pm

hi Peiman,

I’m just going thru a weeks email, so this may have been answered to
your satisfaction, but just in case – I use firebox, and I know 2
other maxers who use them as well. If there’s enough ins & outs for
you on the box, then I can recommend it as a purchase. And the spdif
input is useful if you ever buy a Teabox. (So now I have a Teabox and
a Firebox. What next!?)

And now I’m back, I can start thinking about building a max patch
for my tenori-on (just checking tosee if anyone’s paying
attention :-) )

David

On 1 Oct 2007, at 14:49, peiman khosravi wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if anyone here has had any experiences or knows
> about the Presonus Firebox Interface:
>
> http://www.turnkey.co.uk/web/productAction.do?
> dispatch=showProduct&SKU=PSON-FIREBOX&context=WEB
>
> I have finally managed to sell my mbox 2 for a reasonable price and
> am looking for a new device to use with dp and max/msp and other
> DSP software (not protools!).
>
> Any adivce or ideas are much appreciated.
>
> Many Thanks


October 5, 2007 | 1:22 pm

I’m a bit biased on this, as I worked for a year for a music tech
retailer (a few years ago, so things may have changed) , and I never
saw anything but pain where Macs and M-Audio drivers were concerned.
Consequently I’ve steered well away from them.

Just my 2p worth

David

On 3 Oct 2007, at 9:37, Mattijs Kneppers wrote:

>
> If there is someone that has experience with both interfaces, how
> would you compare the Firebox with the M-Audio FW 410?
>
> As far as I can see they are equally priced but the FW 410 has 2
> more analog outputs, signal indicators for every analog output and
> 2 separate headphone outputs. Sounds like more value for money to
> me, but I never actually used the Firebox.
>
> Mattijs
>
> Quote: peimankhosravi@gmail.com wrote on Tue, 02 October 2007 21:10


October 8, 2007 | 12:35 pm

While we’re on this, has anyone got any experience with either the
Eiderol FA-101 or the Focusrite Saffire? My tendency would be to
default to the Presonus, but I need the MIDI, and I"m sure I’d lose
the breakout cable…..

Thanks,

M

On Oct 5, 2007, at 9:23, David Stevens wrote:

> I’m a bit biased on this, as I worked for a year for a music tech
> retailer (a few years ago, so things may have changed) , and I
> never saw anything but pain where Macs and M-Audio drivers were
> concerned. Consequently I’ve steered well away from them.
>
> Just my 2p worth
>
> David
>
> On 3 Oct 2007, at 9:37, Mattijs Kneppers wrote:
>
>>
>> If there is someone that has experience with both interfaces, how
>> would you compare the Firebox with the M-Audio FW 410?
>>
>> As far as I can see they are equally priced but the FW 410 has 2
>> more analog outputs, signal indicators for every analog output and
>> 2 separate headphone outputs. Sounds like more value for money to
>> me, but I never actually used the Firebox.
>>
>> Mattijs
>>
>> Quote: peimankhosravi@gmail.com wrote on Tue, 02 October 2007 21:10
>


October 8, 2007 | 2:19 pm

My main interface is a Saffire Pro 10. Very good preamps. There seems
to be an issue with the drivers when there are external firewire hard
drives also connected – audio becomes oddly distorted from time to
time. I’ve "solved" this by using a pc card with firewire 800 for the
drives, and connecting the Saffire on its own to the firewire port on
my macbook pro. I didn’t get this problem with the Firebox.

David

On 8 Oct 2007, at 13:35, mattyo wrote:

> While we’re on this, has anyone got any experience with either the
> Eiderol FA-101 or the Focusrite Saffire? My tendency would be to
> default to the Presonus, but I need the MIDI, and I"m sure I’d lose
> the breakout cable…..
>
> Thanks,
>
> M
>
>
>
> On Oct 5, 2007, at 9:23, David Stevens wrote:
>
>> I’m a bit biased on this, as I worked for a year for a music tech
>> retailer (a few years ago, so things may have changed) , and I
>> never saw anything but pain where Macs and M-Audio drivers were
>> concerned. Consequently I’ve steered well away from them.
>>
>> Just my 2p worth
>>
>> David
>>
>> On 3 Oct 2007, at 9:37, Mattijs Kneppers wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> If there is someone that has experience with both interfaces, how
>>> would you compare the Firebox with the M-Audio FW 410?
>>>
>>> As far as I can see they are equally priced but the FW 410 has 2
>>> more analog outputs, signal indicators for every analog output
>>> and 2 separate headphone outputs. Sounds like more value for
>>> money to me, but I never actually used the Firebox.
>>>
>>> Mattijs
>>>
>>> Quote: peimankhosravi@gmail.com wrote on Tue, 02 October 2007 21:10
>>
>


October 9, 2007 | 1:59 pm

jln schrieb:
> I second this. I use a Firepod and am really happy with it. As it is
> discontinuated now, maybe you can find some interesting second hand
> prices if you want more inputs/outputs.

You might also look into the Quatafire from ESI. It has the same size as
the Firepod, but one Midi in/out more, and is as well in the same price
region as discontinued. I am happy with mine…

Stefan


Stefan Tiedje————x——-
–_____———–|————–
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
– _|_)—-|—–()————–
———-()——–www.ccmix.com


October 11, 2007 | 6:14 am

David Morneau schrieb:
> I may be in the minority on this, but I’ve had terrible luck with my
> M-Audio FW 410. It constantly resets itself, interrupting the audio.
> Often when it resets I need to restart my computer just to reconnect
> the FW 410 to CoreAudio. Technical support has been no help. I spent
> an hour on the phone with a guy from the company who, after getting
> me to explain what was happening a dozen times, told me that he’d
> never heard of that problem before so it must not be their product.

Thats a nice method to ignore all problems, I bet the next who complains
will get the same answer…

Did the Digi/M-audio support ask you if you powered the device with the
firewire bus or with an external supply? That would be the first to ask.
If for what reason ever the power on the bus is not sufficient, most
computers will bug out the interface. This can be avoided with an
external supply… These interfaces do need all the power…

To get Audio back on a Powerbook, if it happens, it seems you just have
to switch to different audio driver, replug the interface and reselect
the driver to get it running again. (I learned it the hard way… ;-)

Stefan


Stefan Tiedje————x——-
–_____———–|————–
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
– _|_)—-|—–()————–
———-()——–www.ccmix.com


Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)