Forums > MaxMSP

Off Topic – Mac Fuse – for those doing OS X/XP development – a solution to writing NTFS

January 12, 2007 | 9:59 pm

Hi. This is great news. There is now a driver for OS X that allows
read/write access to NTFS formatted partitions ( or any file system
with a fuse plugin) ,ie: bootcamp, firewire or USB drives formatted
on PC, etc. This helps me tremendously with doing XP/OS X max
patching, not having to deal with BS, etc, and might be of use to
others on the forum…

http://code.google.com/p/macfuse/ – there is plenty of discussion
here: http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8300945231/m/
801005982831/p/1

Ive tested reading and writing large files, and it seems to work!

Hope this helps.

v a d e //

http://www.vade.info
abstrakt.vade.info



f.e
January 13, 2007 | 7:52 am

Oh my god, if it’s really working this is a kind of new era. Thanks
Vade, i’ll spread the news…

f.e

f.e chanfrault | aka | personal computer music
> >>>>>> http://www.personal-computer-music.com
> >>>>>> |sublime music for a desperate people|

vade wrote:
> Hi. This is great news. There is now a driver for OS X that allows
> read/write access to NTFS formatted partitions ( or any file system
> with a fuse plugin) ,ie: bootcamp, firewire or USB drives formatted
> on PC, etc. This helps me tremendously with doing XP/OS X max
> patching, not having to deal with BS, etc, and might be of use to
> others on the forum…
>
> http://code.google.com/p/macfuse/ – there is plenty of discussion
> here: http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8300945231/m/801005982831/p/1
>
> Ive tested reading and writing large files, and it seems to work!
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> *v a d e //*
>
> *www.vade.info*
> *abstrakt.vade.info*
>
>
>
> ————————————————————————
>
>


January 13, 2007 | 8:15 am

This would come in handy, but I just read up on it and it sounds
rather complicated. Before I dive in, how hard is it to install
macfuse? Doubleclick and you’re done? Takes the whole afternoon
setting up? What sorts of read/write speeds can we expect? Functional
but crippled? Incredibly fast? I only need the (PC) NTFS
functionality at this point, never even heard of the rest of the
formats.

I tried installing and using a form of NAS on my G5 the other day,
and it was time-consuming and disappointing (slow) in the end, much
slower than on a PC.

Best,

Zip

Op 13-jan-2007, om 8:52 heeft f.e het volgende geschreven:

> Oh my god, if it’s really working this is a kind of new era. Thanks
> Vade, i’ll spread the news…
>
> f.e
>
> f.e chanfrault | aka | personal computer music
>> >>>>>> http://www.personal-computer-music.com
>> >>>>>> |sublime music for a desperate people|
>
>
> vade wrote:
>> Hi. This is great news. There is now a driver for OS X that allows
>> read/write access to NTFS formatted partitions ( or any file
>> system with a fuse plugin) ,ie: bootcamp, firewire or USB drives
>> formatted on PC, etc. This helps me tremendously with doing XP/OS
>> X max patching, not having to deal with BS, etc, and might be of
>> use to others on the forum…
>>
>> http://code.google.com/p/macfuse/ – there is plenty of discussion
>> here: http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/
>> 8300945231/m/801005982831/p/1
>>
>> Ive tested reading and writing large files, and it seems to work!
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> *v a d e //*
>>
>> *www.vade.info*
>> *abstrakt.vade.info*
>>
>>
>>
>> ———————————————————————
>> —
>>
>>


January 13, 2007 | 5:39 pm

Thanks for the link, Vade!

Not free, but also worth noting is that the new Parallels Desktop
release candidate can use BootCamp partitions and should also be able
to transfer files to/from NTFS/FAT32 partitions in addition to
running Win32 programs. Unfortunately still no HW OpenGL from
Parallels AFAIK, and PACE problems running in a VM (need to use Max
runtime in Parallels) but for those of you that were waiting for this
feature (like myself), I thought I’d pass along…

http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/beta_testing/

-Joshua


January 13, 2007 | 10:13 pm

Zip: it should only take 5 min or so to set up, not even that.

Ive written a small how to on setting it up in the ars forum : http://
episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8300945231/m/801005982831?
r=542007192831#542007192831

R/W speeds are native and pretty fast, its full NTFS support, so you
should be good to go.

On Jan 13, 2007, at 3:15 AM, Zip Boterbloem wrote:

> This would come in handy, but I just read up on it and it sounds
> rather complicated. Before I dive in, how hard is it to install
> macfuse? Doubleclick and you’re done? Takes the whole afternoon
> setting up? What sorts of read/write speeds can we expect?
> Functional but crippled? Incredibly fast? I only need the (PC) NTFS
> functionality at this point, never even heard of the rest of the
> formats.
>
> I tried installing and using a form of NAS on my G5 the other day,
> and it was time-consuming and disappointing (slow) in the end, much
> slower than on a PC.
>
> Best,
>
> Zip
>
> Op 13-jan-2007, om 8:52 heeft f.e het volgende geschreven:
>
>> Oh my god, if it’s really working this is a kind of new era.
>> Thanks Vade, i’ll spread the news…
>>
>> f.e
>>
>> f.e chanfrault | aka | personal computer music
>>> >>>>>> http://www.personal-computer-music.com
>>> >>>>>> |sublime music for a desperate people|
>>
>>
>> vade wrote:
>>> Hi. This is great news. There is now a driver for OS X that
>>> allows read/write access to NTFS formatted partitions ( or any
>>> file system with a fuse plugin) ,ie: bootcamp, firewire or USB
>>> drives formatted on PC, etc. This helps me tremendously with
>>> doing XP/OS X max patching, not having to deal with BS, etc, and
>>> might be of use to others on the forum…
>>>
>>> http://code.google.com/p/macfuse/ – there is plenty of discussion
>>> here: http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/
>>> 8300945231/m/801005982831/p/1
>>>
>>> Ive tested reading and writing large files, and it seems to work!
>>>
>>> Hope this helps.
>>>
>>> *v a d e //*
>>>
>>> *www.vade.info*
>>> *abstrakt.vade.info*
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> ——————————————————————–
>>> —-
>>>
>>>
>

v a d e //

http://www.vade.info
abstrakt.vade.info


Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)