One record~ channel, target buffer~ channel?

Jul 12, 2008 at 7:06am

One record~ channel, target buffer~ channel?

Is it possible to use a record~ object with one single channel, to change its target between one channel of a buffer to other channels of a buffer?

I’m trying to set up a looping tool that will allow me to change the channel of the buffer I’m recording to. It may be that I need to use separate buffers, but using one would solve certain synching problems.

So…is this possible, or should I go to multiple buffers?

Thanks
Robert

Jul 14, 2008 at 6:24am

Probably not as far as I can tell. The problem is that if you record into a buffer~, even targeting a single channel will cause the other channel(s) to be wiped clean if nothing is being sent to it/them. (To target a single channel, you could set record~ with an argument for the appropriate number of channels and then gate~ the signal into them individually at appropriate times. But like I said, even when sending the signal to one channel, once record~ starts it records to all channels at the same time and the buffer~ channels you are blocking the signal from will still be recording silence into them thus causing them to be wiped clean while the one single channel you target will record the signal properly.)

I tried this patch to research this and the help-file and reference doc page show no message to simply record to one channel:

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
Jul 14, 2008 at 3:37pm

Thanks for your clarification.
I couldn’t find arguments to address recording to one channel of a multichannel buffer. I appreciate your confirmation. Getting the architecture right saves a lot of time…

I’ve implemented the multiple tracks with separate buffers. I’m working to synch them now…the poly~ object seems best for matching buffers to single keys, which is not what I’m doing, so I’m recording the start and stop points for one master buffer, and synchronizing the separate buffers to those points, using a counter to deliver a “now” time for recording portions of the slaved additional buffers. I think I’m about there.

Thanks again for your help.
Robert

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.