Forums > Misc

One year student licence run out early

September 12, 2013 | 8:52 am

Hey guys, Today my mac ran completely out of battery and the clocks were reset to default on the computer, since re-adjusting the clocks to the current date my student version of Max is saying it has expired although I have 61 days left. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated!

September 12, 2013 | 9:50 am

support have sorted it!

September 13, 2013 | 6:01 am

There is a general problem that the PACE copy-protection gets hyper-paranoid when it detects any kind of change to the computer’s TOD clock. This is a well known issue (and not limited to the student license). The only protection is to make sure time is set correctly before starting any software that uses PACE CP.

It looks like the basic algorithm PACE uses is something like: "On start, check current time against the last time the software ran. IF current time <= last stored time THEN go nuclear." But this is only a semi-educated guess.

In the case of Max, Cycling '74 support is very helpful, but there's only so much they can do when you have a gig on a Friday night and PACE croaks (or an early-Monday class presentation and you're to the east of PDT). So there is much to be said in favor of being aware of the problem before it hits.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)