only left channel records (and quietly), record groove buffer wave

Apr 13, 2012 at 1:14am

only left channel records (and quietly), record groove buffer wave

I can find no thread, and my teacher and I are stumped. Please Help! When I record using a stereo record~ into a stereo buffer~ groove~ and wave~ the resulting recording only plays through the left speaker (and quietly). Note: I am using max5

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
Apr 13, 2012 at 2:53am

Change your arguments for Buffer One to something like [Buffer~ One 2000 2].
First number is duration, second is number of channels.
(why did you have -1?)
Patcher below should have the changes and should work. But if not, try what I’ve described above.

Apr 15, 2012 at 1:15am

That didn’t seem to fix it. Any one else take a stab at this?

Apr 15, 2012 at 2:14am

It’s a little unclear by your patch. Are the source files you are loading into the buffer at the beginning mono or stereo?

Apr 15, 2012 at 12:01pm

Stereo

Apr 15, 2012 at 12:24pm

everything seems to work fine here. Make sure to have both your buffers with 2 channels (eg [buffer~ one 2000 2] and [buffer~ two 2000 2], maybe your -1 was causing the bugs, maybe not) and also, make sure your source file has 2 channels to be recorded in the 2d buffer.

(in case it helps… here is how i used your patch)

(but didn’t change much really, apart from the -1 in the buffers – also replaced the “name” by “set” in the messages [name one 1] and [name two 1] going to waveform~, because “name” refers to a soundfile, whereas “set” does refer to a buffer name, which seems more appropriate here)

Apr 16, 2012 at 12:54am

I figured out my problem. I was loading in mono files of silence to resize my wave~ to ready it to be record into. I just recorded some fresh samples of silence in stereo and its working fine now. Another one of those DUH! moments. If you know a way to resize the wave~ window in real time as recording, that would be handy tip. Thanks again for all of your help.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.