Open non-max file in windows / finder through max

Apr 17, 2009 at 11:18am

Open non-max file in windows / finder through max

Hi all,

Is it possible to access windows or the finder through max in order to open a non-max file?
I want to control a pc through max and OSC from my laptop and tell the pc e.g. to open ‘file x’ with photoshop. (in this case a custom application, but the principle is the same.)
How would I go about doing that?

Kind Regards,

Brecht

Apr 17, 2009 at 2:16pm

In windows you can send a message to the [launchURL] object. For instance, sending the message “C:\Program Files\Cycling ’74\Max 5.0\Hello.exe” to the object will launch hello.exe from the designated folder.

Best regards,
Michael

Apr 27, 2009 at 11:43am

Thanks for the reply, sorry for my late respons, I’ve just been able to test this. It works with .exe files, but unfortunately not with other files.
We’re looking at another solution, if it’s max-related I’ll post our result for future reference.

grtz,

Brecht.

Apr 27, 2009 at 8:07pm
Brecht wrote on Mon, 27 April 2009 06:43
Thanks for the reply, sorry for my late respons, I’ve just been able to test this. It works with .exe files, but unfortunately not with other files.

Try a message box with
; max launchbrowser [filename]
and just click it.

It should open the file with your OS’s default opener application for that file type. So you’d need to set that specifically in the OS for your particular file type before opening it from Max.

Mar 29, 2011 at 7:27pm

Hi guys,
I’m also trying to launch files/apps/folders on Windows, but I can’t find a copy of the launchURL object anywhere and I haven’t been able to get the ;max launchbrowser [filename] trick to work on Mac or Windows. Do you need the full path for the file name? Does it have to be in your search path? I’ve also seen a couple versions of formatting this message [; launchbrowser thing.txt vs ;max launchbrowser thing.txt] and I’m a little confused. Could somebody please post an example patch for this command? Thanks so much!
-Diane

Mar 30, 2011 at 11:53pm

Hey fixed this in case anyone else needs it – here’s a simple method for windows:

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

And here’s one for Mac:

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.