Forums > MaxMSP

opendialog default location

September 3, 2012 | 11:13 am

Does anyone know how to make the dialog window that opendialog calls navigate to an initial default location? For example, I want the user to be able to nominate a specific folder when they want to open a particular file (like .MID or .aif etc), to be directed to their chosen default location (such as C: users/me/"my MIDI files folder"/ ), rather than an arbitrary location. I am unclear on how to do this or whether it is possible. Could it have something to do with the filepath object? Would there be a java-esque solution to this?

September 3, 2012 | 6:29 pm

good question . seems like the opendialog does not accept any location suggestion . u can do it by creating your own popup , even create folder structures with jit.cellblock for example . ive done something like this . u are not limited in this case then .perhaps there are some Java solutions but i dont know .

edit:
but u need to provide a special logic to the system that check things . if u are sure about the DISK letters and stuff then this is very easy task i guess . if you are creating this for several people then there might be a problem .
so im wondering if there is some Java solutions existing .
lets wait

edit2:
ah u can of course let the user setup their locations :D forgot that .so no problem !!!

let me know if u follow . if there are no other solutions im might be able to help you i guess

September 3, 2012 | 10:10 pm

thanks KrisW,

I guess what I’m looking for is for some sort of message sent to the Windows file open dialogue which can configure it. Maybe that can be done via Java– I don’t know. But I wouldn’t mind having a look at your cellblock version just to see if that’s a viable alternative for me. It will eventually go in a standalone, but will only be for one set of users (not distributed).
T

September 4, 2012 | 11:36 am

OK solved (about 5 years ago! ) — for anyone interested, check out mxj filebrowse by Topher Lafata; seems to work well, you can determine it’s default location as an argument or as a "root" message. It’s on the share page: http://www.cycling74.com/share.html

September 4, 2012 | 4:48 pm

Great Terry !!! thanks

February 9, 2013 | 8:03 pm

this is just AWFUL! How could anybody be developing the [opendialog] and [savedialog] objects and not be thinking about this?
It’s totally crazy to have to spend half a minute browsing my harddrive whenever I want to get to my files.

(that filebrowse you mention as "solution" is unfortunately not an object but just some evil java thing)

February 24, 2013 | 12:30 am

Am looking for a solution to this problem also – and although I see that [mxj filebrowse] could be handy in some situations, it’s a heavy-handed solution for simply needing to specify a default location.

May 23, 2013 | 8:06 am

Bump and +1!

Defining a default location is something really essential when working with dialogs…
Is there any plan to add a default path in some point in the future? Java stuff is not really the cleanest solution…

May 23, 2013 | 2:17 pm

+ 1

September 27, 2013 | 10:22 pm

+10!

March 14, 2014 | 5:48 am

++

(really… ;-))

April 10, 2014 | 10:08 am

I would also really appreciate to be able to specify a default folder to open using opendialog.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)