opening max/msp

Feb 16, 2010 at 7:24am

opening max/msp

Max/MSP fails to open on my computer. I just reinstalled it, but that did not help. Max Runtime works without a hitch, however.

Any tips on where to look for problems?

Here is what I’ve already done:
Reinstall
Clear Library’s Preferences of max-related files

I hope this isn’t too general. I wouldn’t mind plowing through pre-existent troubleshooting FAQs if I’m told where to find them

Many thanks
Philipp Blume

Feb 16, 2010 at 12:54pm

Apparently you are on Mac, but stating some more info about your system will make it easier for other people to help you.

At least provide the following:
- Platform (Mac/Win)
- Processor type (Intel, PPC)
- Operating System (OS X 10.5.4, WinXP with SP2, etc)
- Max/MSP version (4.6, 5.1.3)
- Has it worked before? If so, what have you done since?

In case of Macs:
- Does the Console say anything when you try to open MaxMSP?
- Have you tried fixing permissions (using Disk Utility)?

In case of Windows:
- Does the System Log say anything when you try to open MaxMSP?
- Does the user you are logged in with have admin rights?

Feb 17, 2010 at 2:13pm

Sorry! I’m running Max 4.6 on OSX 10.4.11 -Intel dual processor

It has certainly worked before. Since then, the laptop was taken over by another user who moved everything to different places (essentially squeezing all of my stuff into a single folder).

When I try to open MaxMSP, I just see the opening panel which tells me the version number. When I look in the dock, it already says “Application not responding”)

I have not tried fixing permissions. Never done it before.

Feb 17, 2010 at 2:18pm

Here’s the salad I get when I “verify disk permissions”. Is this normal or a huge mess?

Verify permissions for “BetterThanAnAbacus”
Determining correct file permissions.
Permissions differ on ./Library/Application Support/Macromedia/Shockwave 10/Shockwave 10 Preferences, should be -rwxrwxr-x , they are -rw-rw-r–
Permissions differ on ./Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Info.plist, should be -rw-rw-r– , they are -rw-r–r–
Permissions differ on ./Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/MacOS/Flash Player, should be -rwxrwxr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x
User differs on ./Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/MacOS, should be 0, owner is 501
Permissions differ on ./Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/MacOS, should be drwxrwxr-x , they are drwxr-xr-x
Permissions differ on ./Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Resources/Flash Player.rsrc, should be -rw-rw-r– , they are -rw-r–r–
User differs on ./Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Resources, should be 0, owner is 501
Permissions differ on ./Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Resources, should be drwxrwxr-x , they are drwxr-xr-x
User differs on ./Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents, should be 0, owner is 501
Permissions differ on ./Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents, should be drwxrwxr-x , they are drwxr-xr-x
User differs on ./Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin, should be 0, owner is 501
Permissions differ on ./Library, should be drwxrwxr-t , they are drwxrwxr-x
Permissions differ on ./private/var/log/secure.log, should be -rw——- , they are -rw-r—–

Permissions verification complete
Permissions differ on ./usr/standalone/i386/boot.efi, should be -r–r–r– , they are -r-xr-xr-x
The privileges have been verified or repaired on the selected volume

Feb 18, 2010 at 3:02am

Philipp – if you don’t have this sorted by the time you get into Minneapolis I can lend you a hand in person. If there were a lot of things moved around you might want to try running the 10.4.11 combo update and then try to reinstall max.

Feb 18, 2010 at 1:57pm

Thanks for your response! I will try this.

Where do I find this system update? On my original installation CD?

EDIT: Never mind. I found it.

Feb 18, 2010 at 3:00pm

I have re-updated Intel 10.4.11, restarted, and then reinstalled max 4.6

Still no luck. The opening panel gets frozen at “Initializing Interface”

Feb 18, 2010 at 3:39pm

I’d forgotten about this – pace problem
http://www.cycling74.com/forums/topic.php?id=6939#post-37210
download and run this script http://www.paceap.com/prebind_script.dmg
good luck,
Mike

Feb 18, 2010 at 3:49pm

No luck with that either, Mike.

Am I re-installing incorrectly? Perhaps I need to UNINSTALL and only then re-install.

Feb 18, 2010 at 5:03pm

I have now downloaded the Max 5 demo and am using it for the time being. I won’t be upgrading permanently yet, however; so this is a stopgap solution for my impending deadlines.

If forum posting doesn’t bring a solution, what do you recommend as the next step?

Many thanks!
Philipp

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.