OSC problem. I need advice

Sep 7, 2007 at 6:57pm

OSC problem. I need advice

Hi

I tried to sync two of my computers together by using OSC. I have a PowerMac G5 and a PowerBook G4 with a linksys router. The thing is, I need the advice of hardware settings. I don’t know why, my linksys router seems never listen to me. I couldn’t find where things go wrong but I just couldn’t send message to another computer.

Actually what I want to do is just very simple. I hope I can open Max/MSP in both computers and send message (0,1….) from PowerMac G5 to Powerbook G4 so I can easily start/stop my project together. I know there is latency issues but I have already read the forum and I kind of know what I should do. However, if I can not link my computers together I will not be able to do anything.

Basically I connect all my computers to my linksys router but what I know is linksys doesn’t work very well with MAC. I don’t know where is the problem but I just can not see anything goes through. This router doesn’t even have driver for MAC. Can anybody give me any advice?

thank you so much

CK

#33583
Sep 7, 2007 at 7:20pm

Quote: CKNY wrote on Fri, 07 September 2007 12:57
—————————————————-
> Hi
>
> I tried to sync two of my computers together by using OSC. I have a PowerMac G5 and a PowerBook G4 with a linksys router. The thing is, I need the advice of hardware settings. I don’t know why, my linksys router seems never listen to me. I couldn’t find where things go wrong but I just couldn’t send message to another computer.
>
> Actually what I want to do is just very simple. I hope I can open Max/MSP in both computers and send message (0,1….) from PowerMac G5 to Powerbook G4 so I can easily start/stop my project together. I know there is latency issues but I have already read the forum and I kind of know what I should do. However, if I can not link my computers together I will not be able to do anything.
>
> Basically I connect all my computers to my linksys router but what I know is linksys doesn’t work very well with MAC. I don’t know where is the problem but I just can not see anything goes through. This router doesn’t even have driver for MAC. Can anybody give me any advice?
>
> thank you so much
>
> CK
—————————————————-

Hi,

I just want to ask one more question…..both of my computers has wireless card. Is it possible to connect them by just using the wireless?

thanks

#112067
Sep 8, 2007 at 11:45pm

I did a similar thing recently but just used the maxhole object.

I had a wireless router working and had the two macs talking to each other via wireless communication. The only issue I had was that sometimes the signal was not either sent or received properly.

If I was to use this in performance again I would include some kind of a handshake between the two computers.

Send the on off from computer 1.
When computer 2 receives the on off send back a confirmation.
If more than x ms has occurred and the confirmation is not received – send a second on off to computer 2.

Once during performance the on off trigger was not received and we had to start manually which caused some sync problems.

If you are sending continuous data then this is not necessary. Its just when you send one trigger you want to make sure it gets to the other computer.

Stefan

#112068
Sep 8, 2007 at 11:48pm

My advice would be to connect your two computers via an ethernet
cable. Set the IP addresses manually.
Make sure what you are trying to do works with this simple setup.

Have you already gone this route?

Once you have this working you can add the complications of the
router and the wireless stuff.

John

On Sep 7, 2007, at 2:57 PM, UCDMSRA wrote:

>
> Hi
>
> I tried to sync two of my computers together by using OSC. I have a
> PowerMac G5 and a PowerBook G4 with a linksys router. The thing is,
> I need the advice of hardware settings. I don’t know why, my
> linksys router seems never listen to me. I couldn’t find where
> things go wrong but I just couldn’t send message to another computer.
>
> Actually what I want to do is just very simple. I hope I can open
> Max/MSP in both computers and send message (0,1….) from PowerMac
> G5 to Powerbook G4 so I can easily start/stop my project together.
> I know there is latency issues but I have already read the forum
> and I kind of know what I should do. However, if I can not link my
> computers together I will not be able to do anything.
>
> Basically I connect all my computers to my linksys router but what
> I know is linksys doesn’t work very well with MAC. I don’t know
> where is the problem but I just can not see anything goes through.
> This router doesn’t even have driver for MAC. Can anybody give me
> any advice?
>
> thank you so much
>
> CK

#112069
Sep 9, 2007 at 6:44am

>
>
>>
>>Hi
>>
>>I tried to sync two of my computers together by using OSC. I have a
>>PowerMac G5 and a PowerBook G4 with a linksys router. The thing is,
>>I need the advice of hardware settings. I don’t know why, my
>>linksys router seems never listen to me. I couldn’t find where
>>things go wrong but I just couldn’t send message to another
>>computer.
>>
>>Actually what I want to do is just very simple. I hope I can open
>>Max/MSP in both computers and send message (0,1….) from PowerMac
>>G5 to Powerbook G4 so I can easily start/stop my project together.
>>I know there is latency issues but I have already read the forum
>>and I kind of know what I should do. However, if I can not link my
>>computers together I will not be able to do anything.
>>
>>Basically I connect all my computers to my linksys router but what
>>I know is linksys doesn’t work very well with MAC. I don’t know
>>where is the problem but I just can not see anything goes through.
>>This router doesn’t even have driver for MAC. Can anybody give me
>>any advice?
>>

just try mxj net.maxhole – just put those objects into your patches

most of the time this already works – with out any thing else – 95% of the time

if not, try ethernet cable, computer to computer network etc

best

kasper

#112070
Sep 11, 2007 at 1:30pm

Quote: stefan@kenaxis.com wrote on Sat, 08 September 2007 17:45
—————————————————-
> I did a similar thing recently but just used the maxhole object.
>
> I had a wireless router working and had the two macs talking to each other via wireless communication. The only issue I had was that sometimes the signal was not either sent or received properly.
>
> If I was to use this in performance again I would include some kind of a handshake between the two computers.
>
> Send the on off from computer 1.
> When computer 2 receives the on off send back a confirmation.
> If more than x ms has occurred and the confirmation is not received – send a second on off to computer 2.
>
> Once during performance the on off trigger was not received and we had to start manually which caused some sync problems.
>
> If you are sending continuous data then this is not necessary. Its just when you send one trigger you want to make sure it gets to the other computer.
>
> Stefan
—————————————————-

Hi eveyone,

I tried maxhole and it works. However, when I tried to transfer matrix from one computer to another by jitter……..I don’t know how to do it. I know this is a question about jitter, but since I ask this question over here, I hope maybe some of you know how to send matrix from one computer to another one. What I want to do is important movie file into jit.qt.movie and send this movie to other computer by OSC or maxhole.

thank you sooooo much,

CK

#112071
Sep 14, 2007 at 8:43pm

Quote: CKNY wrote on Tue, 11 September 2007 07:30
—————————————————-
> Quote: stefan@kenaxis.com wrote on Sat, 08 September 2007 17:45
> —————————————————-
> > I did a similar thing recently but just used the maxhole object.
> >
> > I had a wireless router working and had the two macs talking to each other via wireless communication. The only issue I had was that sometimes the signal was not either sent or received properly.
> >
> > If I was to use this in performance again I would include some kind of a handshake between the two computers.
> >
> > Send the on off from computer 1.
> > When computer 2 receives the on off send back a confirmation.
> > If more than x ms has occurred and the confirmation is not received – send a second on off to computer 2.
> >
> > Once during performance the on off trigger was not received and we had to start manually which caused some sync problems.
> >
> > If you are sending continuous data then this is not necessary. Its just when you send one trigger you want to make sure it gets to the other computer.
> >
> > Stefan
> —————————————————-
>
> Hi eveyone,
>
> I tried maxhole and it works. However, when I tried to transfer matrix from one computer to another by jitter……..I don’t know how to do it. I know this is a question about jitter, but since I ask this question over here, I hope maybe some of you know how to send matrix from one computer to another one. What I want to do is important movie file into jit.qt.movie and send this movie to other computer by OSC or maxhole.
>
> thank you sooooo much,
>
> CK
—————————————————-

Hi,

I just want to say that I have already figure out everything……however, there is another problem coming out……but I believe that it is not related to OSC.

thanks,

CK

#112072

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.