Forums > MaxMSP

[OT] 4 outputs with osX

FP
January 6, 2009 | 12:17 pm

hi,

i can’t figure out how to do this :

- i have a movie played by jit.qtmovie (so via quicktime).
- the sound is stereo.

i would like to have this stereo sound on 4 outputs on my MOTU traveler. i don’t want to separate audio and video for now.
this problem could be the same if i want just to use itunes on 4 or more outputs.

i tried this without success :
in "audio midi setup",
-> configure speakers
-> multicanal
-> active MOTU’s 8 analog outs
-> choose tetraphonic
-> apply, finish, close.

if i open again "audio midi setup" it’s back to stereo…

does somebody know what to do, please ?
thx.

f./

January 7, 2009 | 3:43 am

Try using [spigot~] to get the sound from your [jit.qtmovie] into MSP land and send it to a [dac~ 1 2 3 4].

FP
January 7, 2009 | 11:42 am

January 8, 2009 | 1:29 am

Oh, I thought you were just trying to deal with making your Max/MSP/Jitter sound stereo->quad, so I now see that even if [spigot~] worked correctly that wouldn’t do the trick for you (and sorry for suggesting an object that doesn’t work, all my jitter work deals separate audio/video–but I thought even on quicktime 7 it still sort of worked even if not exactly how it was supposed to, yet after messing with it I can’t seem to make that happen).

Anyway, back to your issue:

I think a couple of years ago I messed around with this very subject. I don’t think I ever found a solution because I think that the quad-output options in AudioMidi Setup are designed for when software is outputting surround sound (e.g. DVD player, some games, etc.) and that OS X doesn’t have a built in mechanism for doing dual-stereo like you described. I could be wrong, and when I’m home in about a week and have access to all my gear I can experiment a little bit, but I seem to remember needing to come up with another solution than audio MIDI setup. I think what I did was route analogue 7-8 outputs into 7-8 inputs, then created two output buses in the CueMix Console. OS X outputs to 7-8 and then when you have that audio going back into your MOTU you can route it to any combination of outputs that you’d like. Really crude I know and not really what you are looking for. I’ll let you know if I discover anything else.

January 12, 2009 | 11:48 pm

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)