[OT] holophonic 3Dsound

Oct 2, 2006 at 11:16pm

[OT] holophonic 3Dsound

can we get this external :)

(hear with headphones)

http://www.holophonic.ch/archivio/testaudio/Cereni%20-%20Holophonic.mp3

here the org.link

http://www.holophonic.ch/test.php

but i’am confused because i thougt it was recordet with a Holophone H3-D mic…mmmhh

#27929
Oct 12, 2006 at 7:16am

my god! that could kill 5.0!!! ive never ever heard of anything that could
do that, and the trippy part is that its just a stereo pair!!!! have you
read evrything on that site? it doesnt seem to have any directions on
implimentation

#85150
Oct 12, 2006 at 8:46am
#85151
Oct 12, 2006 at 10:36am

wiki means:

Holophony (or holophonic sound) is an audio recording technique, designed by Argentine researcher Hugo Zuccarelli, which operates on a similar principle to Holography, except it applies these principles to sound and audio recording. It uses a multiple exposure technique where an original recording is combined with a reference recording, and the resulting interference patterns are recorded. The result has been reported to be realistic and life-like three dimensional sounding audio recordings which have been said to exceed the realism of stereo sound.

anyone ever used this baby:

http://www.holophone.com/products_h4.html

#85152
Oct 12, 2006 at 8:17pm

why isnt it more widespread? i mean it’s amazing. am i wrong? though i guess
this isn’t somthing to keep going off about in max list

On 10/12/06, pelang wrote:
>
>
> wiki means:
>
> Holophony (or holophonic sound) is an audio recording technique, designed
> by Argentine researcher Hugo Zuccarelli, which operates on a similar
> principle to Holography, except it applies these principles to sound and
> audio recording. It uses a multiple exposure technique where an original
> recording is combined with a reference recording, and the resulting
> interference patterns are recorded. The result has been reported to be
> realistic and life-like three dimensional sounding audio recordings which
> have been said to exceed the realism of stereo sound.
>
>
> anyone ever used this baby:
> http://www.holophone.com/products_h4.html
>

#85153
Oct 12, 2006 at 9:13pm

According to David Malham, there is a close relation between Holophony, Wave Field Synthesis and Ambisonics.

http://www.york.ac.uk/inst/mustech/3d_audio/homogeneous.htm

#85154
Oct 25, 2006 at 10:43am

do you think it would be possible to make a dsp plugin that could possition
audio on the Y axis? it seems possible. i mean if you can record with this
technique ( holophonics) it stands to reason you can generate the same
effect. i mean you can make a stereo faker!!! there are thousands of em

On 10/12/06, Rui Penha wrote:
>
>
> According to David Malham, there is a close relation between Holophony,
> Wave Field Synthesis and Ambisonics.
>
> http://www.york.ac.uk/inst/mustech/3d_audio/homogeneous.htm
>

#85155
Oct 25, 2006 at 11:09am

I would imagine this is possible. If holophoncs uses some sort of mixing between the raw recording and a reference recording, then in theory I suppose they could be mixed / convolved somehow to give spatialization cues. The specifics would probably be pretty complex, but when it finally worked, it would probably boil down to a set of adjustable parameters for distance, strength, and maybe some frequency filtering that affects the perception of these.

Sounds like fun to try out! Surround sound in headphones…. heck yeah!

-CJ

#85156
Oct 25, 2006 at 12:06pm

yeah but this is so much more then suround isnt it? am i mistaken? CAN
5.1do UP and DOWN? i mean thats the kicker isnt it?

On 10/25/06, Seejay James wrote:
>
>
> I would imagine this is possible. If holophoncs uses some sort of mixing
> between the raw recording and a reference recording, then in theory I
> suppose they could be mixed / convolved somehow to give spatialization cues.
> The specifics would probably be pretty complex, but when it finally worked,
> it would probably boil down to a set of adjustable parameters for distance,
> strength, and maybe some frequency filtering that affects the perception of
> these.
>
> Sounds like fun to try out! Surround sound in headphones…. heck yeah!
>
> -CJ
>

#85157
Oct 25, 2006 at 12:17pm

For me, yes. Providing surround with stereo source is one issue, top down thingie is another. I guess this technique has nothing to do with HRTF and so right? This is a rather old technique as far as I’ve heard, and not much have been done to improve it. A google investigation pointed me to the same (silly)website over and over again.

Can someone give any ideas about the technique involved here? This is achieviable with a mono recording and post processing right? The reference sound mixed with the original recording; one should be able to synthesize them with some convultion techniques I think.

Tracking the listeners head motion and arranging sound source spatialisation according to that info realtime woudl be cool,does that have any chance of being applicable? I’m really curious.

Quote: prestonandbully@gmail wrote on Wed, 25 October 2006 15:06
—————————————————-
> yeah but this is so much more then suround isnt it? am i mistaken? CAN
> 5.1do UP and DOWN? i mean thats the kicker isnt it?
>
> On 10/25/06, Seejay James wrote:
> >
> >
> > I would imagine this is possible. If holophoncs uses some sort of mixing
> > between the raw recording and a reference recording, then in theory I
> > suppose they could be mixed / convolved somehow to give spatialization cues.
> > The specifics would probably be pretty complex, but when it finally worked,
> > it would probably boil down to a set of adjustable parameters for distance,
> > strength, and maybe some frequency filtering that affects the perception of
> > these.
> >
> > Sounds like fun to try out! Surround sound in headphones…. heck yeah!
> >
> > -CJ
> >
>
>
>
—————————————————-

#85158
Oct 25, 2006 at 12:43pm

Hmm…. tracking a couple of transmitters attached to the head or headphones using an IR or some other tracker, probably with something to triangulate. Then the music or sound effects coming in would be convolved and spatialized according to the movement. Great stuff! I’m sure it’s being done, but as always, there’s probably a way to do it cheaper and cooler using Max (and some home-grown electronics)!

-CJ

#85159
Oct 25, 2006 at 12:49pm

Oh yeah, I’m talking about DIY and be cool stuff here. :)

Quote: seejayjames wrote on Wed, 25 October 2006 15:43
—————————————————-
> Hmm…. tracking a couple of transmitters attached to the head or headphones using an IR or some other tracker, probably with something to triangulate. Then the music or sound effects coming in would be convolved and spatialized according to the movement. Great stuff! I’m sure it’s being done, but as always, there’s probably a way to do it cheaper and cooler using Max (and some home-grown electronics)!
>
> -CJ
>
—————————————————-

#85160
Oct 25, 2006 at 1:19pm

Hello

I am selling my current RME devices (in mint condition):

* RME Hammerfall DSP Multiface 1 (2003)
* RME PCI Interface (2003)
* RME CardBus Interface (one year old)

The total price is 700 euros. If you are interested in buying it or need
some additional information, you may either anwser my post in the list
or send me an email (julien@breval.com).

Best regards,
Julien Breval

#85161
Oct 25, 2006 at 1:19pm

hey Cycling74. you should sus this stuff out and make a plugin for it!!! id
pay $$$ for it. i think we all would. and once again you could be the
coolest people in the world :) well even cooler then you are now :)

call it Holopho!!!

#85162
Oct 25, 2006 at 5:48pm
#85163
Oct 25, 2006 at 6:46pm

I tried it, this Holophonic test uses indeed a very much better than
any other tecnique I have used so far…

Cheers

Alessandro Fogar

2006/10/25, Trond Lossius :
> Have you checked the binaural vst plugin by Tom Erbe extracted from
> SoundHack?
>
> Trond
>
>
> Joel Swensen wrote:
> > yeah but this is so much more then suround isnt it? am i mistaken? CAN
> > 5.1 do UP and DOWN? i mean thats the kicker isnt it?
> >
> > On 10/25/06, *Seejay James* < cjlacke@ilstu.edu
> > > wrote:
> >
> >
> > I would imagine this is possible. If holophoncs uses some sort of
> > mixing between the raw recording and a reference recording, then
> > in theory I suppose they could be mixed / convolved somehow to
> > give spatialization cues. The specifics would probably be pretty
> > complex, but when it finally worked, it would probably boil down
> > to a set of adjustable parameters for distance, strength, and
> > maybe some frequency filtering that affects the perception of these.
> >
> > Sounds like fun to try out! Surround sound in headphones…. heck
> > yeah!
> >
>
>

#85164
Oct 25, 2006 at 7:51pm

#85165
Oct 25, 2006 at 10:07pm
#85166
Oct 26, 2006 at 8:32am

Hi again!

Although technically it is binaural and not holophonic, you can use 3D spatialization with Ambisonics (great externals from ICST at http://www.icst.net/downloads/ ) and convert them using convolution (which, I totally agree works better than FFT) with HRTF filters for fixed “virtual speaker” setup using any ambisonics to binaural decoder (a good one being a free AU plugin made by Aristotel Digenis and available at http://www.digenis.co.uk/plugins.html ). His plugins work well, but as they are AudioUnits and require several channels of input/output, they work better with something like Plogue Bidule (hope it’s ok to refer this here – it’s a complement, not a substitute for max!).

Best regards,

Rui

#85167
Oct 26, 2006 at 2:53pm

Thanks for pointing out Aristotel Digenis’ plugins. This looks like a perfect job for 16-channel Soundflower and AULab on mac…

Tim

#85168
Oct 26, 2006 at 8:58pm

CURSE my lack of a mac!!!!!!

On 10/26/06, Tim wrote:
>
>
> Thanks for pointing out Aristotel Digenis’ plugins. This looks like a
> perfect job for 16-channel Soundflower and AULab on mac…
>
> Tim
>

#85169
Oct 26, 2006 at 10:15pm

there is the good (6 years) old ammbisone from prosonic
for you on windows, it is not that much academic but maybe
that explains why it is good to use.

its not free but you should get a legal copy of it off ebay
for 10 dollars.

interesting yet not optimal for aural panning are also the
canz 3d plug-ins (VST/Mac only and shareware)

#85170
Oct 27, 2006 at 5:56pm
#85171
Oct 27, 2006 at 7:03pm

:)

waveArts “Panorama” plugin use the CIPIC HRTFadn kemar databases..

http://www.wavearts.com/Panorama.html

nice !

thank you very much for all the help.

pe

#85172
Oct 27, 2006 at 7:51pm

nice :) they actualy DO get a little bit of up and down.

On 10/27/06, pelang wrote:
>
>
> :)
>
> waveArts “Panorama” plugin use the CIPIC HRTFadn kemar databases..
> http://www.wavearts.com/Panorama.html
>
> nice !
>
> thank you very much for all the help.
>
> pe
>

#85173
Oct 27, 2006 at 9:59pm

Batuhan wrote:
> Quote: seejayjames wrote on Wed, 25 October 2006 15:43
> —————————————————-
>
>> Hmm…. tracking a couple of transmitters attached to the head or
>> headphones using an IR or some other tracker, probably with
>> something to triangulate. Then the music or sound effects coming in
>> would be convolved and spatialized according to the movement. Great
>> stuff! I’m sure it’s being done, but as always, there’s probably a
>> way to do it cheaper and cooler using Max (and some home-grown
>> electronics)!

As I recall, the main problem of such a thing is, you basically need to
process all the reflections on the fly, which needs lots of processing
power. But maybe now is the time to start to explore it and by the time
the CPU’s are fast enough in 2 or 3 years, its ready to fly…
Headtrackers are already available for games…

The stuff mentioned on these web sites sounds boring, 5 virtual speakers
is definitely not interesting. 5 real speakers are better. But
completely free assignable moving sound sources or 1 million speackers
(which is the same) thats interesting…

Stefan


Stefan Tiedje————x——-
–_____———–|————–
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
– _|_)—-|—–()————–
———-()——–www.ccmix.com

#85174
Oct 29, 2006 at 7:46pm

The price is now 500 euros for the three devices …

> I am selling my current RME devices (in mint condition):
>
> * RME Hammerfall DSP Multiface 1 (2003)
> * RME PCI Interface (2003)
> * RME CardBus Interface (one year old)
>
> If you are interested in buying it or need
> some additional information, you may either anwser my post in the list
> or send me an email (julien@breval.com).
>
>
> Best regards,
> Julien Breval

#85175

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.