[OT] OpenMusic vs. PWGL

Oct 22, 2012 at 3:56pm

[OT] OpenMusic vs. PWGL

Hi,

I recenlty started working with OpenMusic. Then my attention has been drawn to PWGL, which at first sight seems nicer and useful for quite the same things. Anyone here knows a little about those two programs ? What about their current state of developpement, ergonomy, compatibility, active user base, powerfulness and so on ?

Thanks in advance for any insightful advice !

Oct 22, 2012 at 4:21pm

My personal preference is for PWGL, since it also has the Expressive Notation Package built-in, which does some pretty interesting things. They’re similar in many ways, both being based off of PatchWork. I used to use OpenMusic, but have been doing more PWGL lately; the documentation for PWGL now is way better than the documentation (where it existing it was in French frequently) when I used OpenMusic ~8 years ago, but things may have significantly shifted with OpenMusic since.

Oct 22, 2012 at 7:49pm

hm, thanks. I could not really tell the state of the non french documentation of OM, since i’m french :D though it’s true that at first sight, native OM doc is far from great… and i’m really not familiar at all with external packages so, can neither tell about this… anyway thanks ! i think i’ll give a try to PWGL, but might stick with OM since i need it anyway for educational reasons.

Oct 22, 2012 at 8:33pm

Forgot to mention: there’s a lot of documentation for PWGL and ENP (as well as a book!), along with many good built-in tutorials. My one complaint about PWGL is that the GL part can be a bit wonky.

Oct 23, 2012 at 11:55am

… and why not have a look at bach? http://www.bachproject.net ;)
aa

Oct 23, 2012 at 11:56am

(btw, there’s a semi-private super-cool prerelease around… have a look at the bach forum!)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.