Forums > MaxMSP

[OT]SuperCollider from max

July 12, 2007 | 9:54 am

hi

following my message(s) in the "Multi-language Max/MSP (B Garton)"
thread (yesterday), I am still searching for a way to control synth
params of SuperCollider3 from max

it is still not clear for me hox to do it (using OSC)

the max part of it seems clear (sending osc , on address 127.0.0.1,
port 157120)

if anyone had a simple exemple of how to receive it in SC3, that would be great

many thanks

kasper

Kasper T. Toeplitz
noise, composition, bass, computer

http://www.sleazeArt.com

http://www.myspace.com/sleazeart


July 12, 2007 | 10:13 am

HI,

try to look here:

http://www.ixi-software.net/content/body_backyard_sc.html

Look for: joeGendy

All the best

Alessandro Fogar

2007/7/12, Kasper T Toeplitz :
>
>
> hi
>
> following my message(s) in the "Multi-language Max/MSP (B Garton)"
> thread (yesterday), I am still searching for a way to control synth
> params of SuperCollider3 from max
>
> it is still not clear for me hox to do it (using OSC)
>
> the max part of it seems clear (sending osc , on address 127.0.0.1,
> port 157120)
>
> if anyone had a simple exemple of how to receive it in SC3, that would be great
>
> many thanks
>
> kasper
> –
> Kasper T. Toeplitz
> noise, composition, bass, computer
> http://www.sleazeArt.com
>
> http://www.myspace.com/sleazeart
>
>


Alessandro Fogar

http://www.fogar.it


July 12, 2007 | 12:23 pm

I have SCPlayer that instantiates and plays SC3 synthdefs from max in a
manner somewhat like poly~. If you have trouble with this, let me know and
I can send a .sit or .zip file. The main patch uses my random objects
available at http://www.timara.oberlin.edu/garyleenelson.

Test with this synthdef:

SynthDef("SH",
{
arg rate = 12, att = 0, decay = 5.0, offset = 400;
var env, out, pan, max;
pan = LFNoise1.kr(1/3);
env = EnvGen.kr(Env.perc(att, decay), doneAction: 2);
out = Pan2.ar(
Blip.ar(LFNoise0.ar(rate, min(100, offset), offset),
(env)*12 + 1, 0.3), pan)*env;
Out.ar(0, out)
}).send(s)
)

Here’s SCPlayer:

#P window setfont "Sans Serif" 9.;
#P window linecount 1;
#P newex 404 60 103 196617 pack target 1000 16;
#P newex 247 333 70 196617 pack target 0;
#P newex 247 287 62 196617 prepend set;
#P outlet 397 277 15 0;
#P newex 397 233 96 196617 +;
#P newex 506 112 27 196617 – 1;
#N counter 0 15;
#X flags 0 0;
#P newobj 398 207 68 196617 counter 0 15;
#P newex 404 86 113 196617 unpack target 1000 16;
#P newex 508 178 332 196617 t b b b l b b b;
#P newex 247 369 148 196617 sprintf set s_new %s %ld 1 0;
#P newex 77 77 123 196617 route target parameters;
#P window setfont "Fixedwidth Serif" 10.;
#P window linecount 3;
#P message 753 329 122 1441802 set script new cycle newex 32 250 128 196617
cycle;
#P window setfont "Sans Serif" 9.;
#P message 785 279 102 196617 set script new Label newex 32 300 128 196617
Label;
#P window linecount 2;
#P message 901 244 104 196617 script delete cycle , script delete Label;
#P outlet 187 597 15 0;
#P window linecount 3;
#P message 365 473 125 196617 script connect Label 0 prepender 0 , script
connect trigger 1 cycle 0;
#P window linecount 4;
#P message 512 512 57 196617 script connect cycle $1 Label $1;
#P window linecount 1;
#P newex 512 485 27 196617 – 1;
#P newex 440 415 80 196617 uzi 8;
#P message 585 354 64 196617 append $1 1;
#P window setfont "Fixedwidth Serif" 10.;
#P window linecount 0;
#P message 585 483 303 1441802;
#P window setfont "Sans Serif" 9.;
#P window linecount 1;
#P newex 667 240 80 196617 prepend append;
#P newex 585 323 34 196617 zl len;
#P window setfont "Fixedwidth Serif" 10.;
#P window linecount 0;
#P message 667 416 219 1441802;
#P window setfont "Sans Serif" 9.;
#P window linecount 1;
#P newex 187 112 53 196617 t b l b b;
#P objectname trigger;
#N thispatcher;
#Q end;
#P newobj 512 603 61 196617 thispatcher;
#P inlet 77 49 15 0;
#P newex 534 140 89 196617 route parameters;
#P newex 404 32 140 196617 patcherargs;
#P newex 248 476 78 196617 prepend append;
#P objectname prepender;
#P window linecount 0;
#P message 187 515 143 196617;
#P window linecount 2;
#P comment 561 34 421 196617 args: arg1 is name of SC3 synthdef that has
been loaded into DSP. arg2 is starting nodeID for a series of s_new
messages. arg3 is the maximum number of instances (like poly~);
#P window linecount 1;
#P comment 639 142 373 196617 atrributes: @parameters specify the names of
parameters in the target synthdef;
#P window linecount 2;
#P comment 98 48 273 196617 attributes can be sent through inlet. Lists
members are distribute across nsythdef parameters;
#P fasten 25 6 20 0 831 204 906 204;
#P fasten 25 5 21 0 778 211 790 211;
#P fasten 25 4 22 0 725 225 758 225;
#P fasten 25 2 10 0 619 285 672 285;
#P fasten 21 0 10 0 790 304 672 304;
#P fasten 12 0 10 0 672 268 672 268;
#P fasten 25 3 11 0 672 223 590 223;
#P connect 25 3 12 0;
#P fasten 25 1 13 0 566 377 590 377;
#P fasten 22 0 13 0 758 403 590 403;
#P fasten 14 0 13 0 590 409 590 409;
#P fasten 11 0 15 1 590 348 515 348;
#P fasten 11 0 14 0 590 347 590 347;
#P connect 5 1 6 0;
#P fasten 20 0 8 0 906 585 517 585;
#P fasten 18 0 8 0 370 602 517 602;
#P fasten 10 0 8 0 672 578 517 578;
#P fasten 13 0 8 0 590 571 517 571;
#P connect 17 0 8 0;
#P connect 16 0 17 0;
#P connect 15 2 16 0;
#P fasten 23 1 25 0 138 145 513 145;
#P connect 6 0 25 0;
#P connect 26 2 28 0;
#P fasten 26 1 29 1 460 161 488 161;
#P fasten 28 0 27 4 511 136 459 136;
#P fasten 25 0 15 0 513 305 445 305;
#P connect 33 0 26 0;
#P connect 5 0 33 0;
#P fasten 9 3 27 0 234 137 403 137;
#P fasten 29 0 32 1 402 265 312 265;
#P connect 29 0 30 0;
#P connect 27 0 29 0;
#P fasten 15 1 18 0 480 452 370 452;
#P connect 32 0 24 0;
#P fasten 9 2 32 0 220 321 252 321;
#P connect 31 0 32 0;
#P fasten 23 0 31 0 82 153 252 153;
#P fasten 26 0 31 0 409 120 252 120;
#P connect 3 0 19 0;
#P fasten 24 0 3 0 252 450 192 450;
#P fasten 4 0 3 0 253 502 192 502;
#P connect 9 0 3 0;
#P connect 23 2 9 0;
#P connect 7 0 23 0;
#P window clipboard copycount 34;

And here’s SHmax2sc that uses it:

#P window setfont "Sans Serif" 9.;
#P number 319 250 35 9 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 221 221 221 222 222 222 0 0 0;
#P window linecount 1;
#P newex 62 343 126 196617 udpsend 127.0.0.1 57110;
#P newex 339 119 84 196617 RanAB 100 1000;
#P button 60 60 15 0;
#P newex 60 118 60 196617 Ranab 7 19;
#P newex 153 117 69 196617 RanAB 10 10;
#P newex 246 117 69 196617 RanAB 20 20;
#P newex 60 194 291 196617 pack 0. 0. 0. 0.;
#P window linecount 3;
#P message 96 283 156 196617 s_new SH 2004 1 0 rate 7.050488 att 10. decay
20. offset 999.454041;
#P window linecount 1;
#P newex 96 256 62 196617 prepend set;
#P newex 61 224 268 196617 SCplayer SH 2000 32 @parameters rate att decay
offset;
#P window setfont "Sans Serif" 18.;
#P comment 97 51 282 196626 SH uses sh.rtf synthdef;
#P window setfont "Sans Serif" 9.;
#P window linecount 2;
#P comment 360 250 100 196617 nodeID assigned to synthdef instance;
#P comment 430 119 204 196617 get my random number generators at
http://www.timara.oberlin.edu/garyleenelson;
#P connect 11 0 6 3;
#P connect 10 0 9 0;
#P connect 10 0 8 0;
#P connect 10 0 7 0;
#P connect 10 0 11 0;
#P connect 3 1 13 0;
#P fasten 7 0 6 2 251 170 251 170;
#P connect 8 0 6 1;
#P connect 4 0 5 0;
#P connect 3 0 4 0;
#P connect 3 0 12 0;
#P connect 6 0 3 0;
#P connect 9 0 6 0;
#P window clipboard copycount 14;

On 7/12/07 5:54 AM, "Kasper T Toeplitz" wrote:

>
>
> hi
>
> following my message(s) in the "Multi-language Max/MSP (B Garton)"
> thread (yesterday), I am still searching for a way to control synth
> params of SuperCollider3 from max
>
> it is still not clear for me hox to do it (using OSC)
>
> the max part of it seems clear (sending osc , on address 127.0.0.1,
> port 157120)
>
> if anyone had a simple exemple of how to receive it in SC3, that would be
> great
>
> many thanks
>
> kasper

Cheers
Gary Lee Nelson
Oberlin College
http://www.timara.oberlin.edu/GaryLeeNelson


July 12, 2007 | 12:32 pm

Forgott o add thanks to Josh Parmeter and Mark Polishook for helping me sort
this out.

On 7/12/07 5:54 AM, "Kasper T Toeplitz" wrote:

>
>
> hi
>
> following my message(s) in the "Multi-language Max/MSP (B Garton)"
> thread (yesterday), I am still searching for a way to control synth
> params of SuperCollider3 from max
>
> it is still not clear for me hox to do it (using OSC)
>
> the max part of it seems clear (sending osc , on address 127.0.0.1,
> port 157120)
>
> if anyone had a simple exemple of how to receive it in SC3, that would be
> great
>
> many thanks
>
> kasper

Cheers
Gary Lee Nelson
Oberlin College
http://www.timara.oberlin.edu/GaryLeeNelson


July 12, 2007 | 12:36 pm

Oops…just noticed that I used Peter Elsea’s Label inside SCPlayer. It’s
from his highly recommended set of Lobjects. Sorry to include third party
objects but Elsea’s objects and mine are readily available and are updated
to follow developments in Max and Macs. Personally, I think serious max
users should already have them.

On 7/12/07 5:54 AM, "Kasper T Toeplitz" wrote:

>
>
> hi
>
> following my message(s) in the "Multi-language Max/MSP (B Garton)"
> thread (yesterday), I am still searching for a way to control synth
> params of SuperCollider3 from max
>
> it is still not clear for me hox to do it (using OSC)
>
> the max part of it seems clear (sending osc , on address 127.0.0.1,
> port 157120)
>
> if anyone had a simple exemple of how to receive it in SC3, that would be
> great
>
> many thanks
>
> kasper

Cheers
Gary Lee Nelson
Oberlin College
http://www.timara.oberlin.edu/GaryLeeNelson


July 12, 2007 | 12:57 pm

hi

did not reall tried your patch , BUT it gave me the answer to my problem:

sending OSC with the OpenSoundControl does not work – but using
udpsend is perfect

all exemples were done with OpenSoundControl, and did not work

udpsend is perfect

many thanks

kasper

Kasper T. Toeplitz
noise, composition, bass, computer

http://www.sleazeArt.com

http://www.myspace.com/sleazeart


July 12, 2007 | 1:02 pm

How strange — I thought that that the OpenSoundControl object was
necessary to properly format the OSC packets for SC3 (so says the
OpenSoundControl docs…). Apologies for any confusion in my
examples!

brad

http://music.columbia.edu/~brad

Quoting Kasper T Toeplitz :

> hi
>
> did not reall tried your patch , BUT it gave me the answer to my
> problem:
>
> sending OSC with the OpenSoundControl does not work – but using
> udpsend is perfect
>
> all exemples were done with OpenSoundControl, and did not work
>
> udpsend is perfect
>
> many thanks
>
> kasper
> –
> Kasper T. Toeplitz
> noise, composition, bass, computer
> http://www.sleazeArt.com
>
> http://www.myspace.com/sleazeart
>
>


July 12, 2007 | 1:42 pm

>How strange — I thought that that the OpenSoundControl object was
>necessary to properly format the OSC packets for SC3 (so says the
>OpenSoundControl docs…). Apologies for any confusion in my
>examples!
>

not only you – it seems it DID work this way, but does no more

we tried with many SC3 versions, and many macs ( PPC & intel)

seems it does not work with OSX48… not sure, but with a mac OSX49 it works

not sure WHY OpenSoundControl doesn not work

but the patches do, now

many thanks

kasper

Kasper T. Toeplitz
noise, composition, bass, computer

http://www.sleazeArt.com

http://www.myspace.com/sleazeart


July 12, 2007 | 3:06 pm

Quoting Kasper T Toeplitz :

> not only you – it seems it DID work this way, but does no more
> we tried with many SC3 versions, and many macs ( PPC & intel)
> seems it does not work with OSX48… not sure, but with a mac
> OSX49 it works

Aha — explains why it was working for me, 10.4.9 and 10.4.10 here.

thanks for figuring this out.

brad

http://music.columbia.edu/~brad


July 12, 2007 | 3:07 pm

While we are on the topic of SuperCollider, I have been debating
for a while whether or not I should learn how to use
SuperCollider. Is there anything that SuperCollider does that
I could not do with csound or MSP?


July 12, 2007 | 4:13 pm


July 12, 2007 | 4:38 pm

There are overlaps and differences among SuperCollider, Csound and MSP -
advantages and disadvantages among all three. I use all of them at
different times and for different purposes.

All languages have personalities. They make some things easy and others
difficult. I have found it valuable to learn as many as possible – never a
waste of time.

I recommend SuperCollider. It’s free, constantly being expanded and
supported by a user community of very impressive (and helpful) people. I
suggest starting with Mark Polishook’s tutorial and looking at the examples.
David Cottle has extensive class notes in PDF and there is a SuperCollider
book in the works. You’re probably looking at a couple of hours to get the
basic idea. Then you can decide whether to go further.

On 7/12/07 11:07 AM, "Anthony Palomba" wrote:

>
> While we are on the topic of SuperCollider, I have been debating
> for a while whether or not I should learn how to use
> SuperCollider. Is there anything that SuperCollider does that
> I could not do with csound or MSP?

Cheers
Gary Lee Nelson
Oberlin College
http://www.timara.oberlin.edu/GaryLeeNelson


July 12, 2007 | 4:43 pm


July 12, 2007 | 4:46 pm

Thanks for the info Gary. I will try to look into it.
Do you have any links to these tutorials and notes?

—– Original Message —–
From: Gary Lee Nelson
Date: Thursday, July 12, 2007 11:41 am
Subject: Re: [maxmsp] Re: [OT]SuperCollider from max
To: Max

> There are overlaps and differences among SuperCollider, Csound and
> MSP -
> advantages and disadvantages among all three. I use all of them at
> different times and for different purposes.
>
> All languages have personalities. They make some things easy and
> othersdifficult. I have found it valuable to learn as many as
> possible – never a
> waste of time.
>
> I recommend SuperCollider. It’s free, constantly being expanded and
> supported by a user community of very impressive (and helpful)
> people. I
> suggest starting with Mark Polishook’s tutorial and looking at the
> examples.David Cottle has extensive class notes in PDF and there
> is a SuperCollider
> book in the works. You’re probably looking at a couple of hours to
> get the
> basic idea. Then you can decide whether to go further.
>
>
> On 7/12/07 11:07 AM, "Anthony Palomba" wrote:
>
> >
> > While we are on the topic of SuperCollider, I have been debating
> > for a while whether or not I should learn how to use
> > SuperCollider. Is there anything that SuperCollider does that
> > I could not do with csound or MSP?
>
>
> Cheers
> Gary Lee Nelson
> Oberlin College
> http://www.timara.oberlin.edu/GaryLeeNelson
>
>
>


July 12, 2007 | 5:38 pm

I think the Polishook tutorials is included in the SC3 download.

David Cottle’s stuff is at http://fileserver.music.utah.edu/cottle/wppy/

Download both links. The first is the tutorial in pdf and the second is a
folder of SC3 examples to accompany the text.

On 7/12/07 12:46 PM, "apalomba@austin.rr.com"
wrote:

> Thanks for the info Gary. I will try to look into it.
> Do you have any links to these tutorials and notes?
>
>
>
>
> —– Original Message —–
> From: Gary Lee Nelson
> Date: Thursday, July 12, 2007 11:41 am
> Subject: Re: [maxmsp] Re: [OT]SuperCollider from max
> To: Max
>
>> There are overlaps and differences among SuperCollider, Csound and
>> MSP -
>> advantages and disadvantages among all three. I use all of them at
>> different times and for different purposes.
>>
>> All languages have personalities. They make some things easy and
>> othersdifficult. I have found it valuable to learn as many as
>> possible – never a
>> waste of time.
>>
>> I recommend SuperCollider. It’s free, constantly being expanded and
>> supported by a user community of very impressive (and helpful)
>> people. I
>> suggest starting with Mark Polishook’s tutorial and looking at the
>> examples.David Cottle has extensive class notes in PDF and there
>> is a SuperCollider
>> book in the works. You’re probably looking at a couple of hours to
>> get the
>> basic idea. Then you can decide whether to go further.
>>
>>
>> On 7/12/07 11:07 AM, "Anthony Palomba" wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> While we are on the topic of SuperCollider, I have been debating
>>> for a while whether or not I should learn how to use
>>> SuperCollider. Is there anything that SuperCollider does that
>>> I could not do with csound or MSP?
>>
>>
>> Cheers
>> Gary Lee Nelson
>> Oberlin College
>> http://www.timara.oberlin.edu/GaryLeeNelson
>>
>>
>>

Cheers
Gary Lee Nelson
Oberlin College
http://www.timara.oberlin.edu/GaryLeeNelson


July 12, 2007 | 7:15 pm


July 12, 2007 | 7:45 pm


Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)