Packing Bangs?

Apr 8, 2011 at 9:58pm

Packing Bangs?

[Background]

Hey, I’ve been trying to fit everything I’ve been working on into one patcher. I have sections for guitar dsp, other bits for vocal processing, and another to handle drum triggers

Everything is based on the number 6, I am using a beatpad with six triggers, which I am going to assign to work as footswitches for guitar effects toggles. It’s also controlling actual drum sounds in max, but when I am busy guitarring, I’ll be shunting those duties over to a sequencer.

I’m doing what I can to make everything as modular as possible, as I’ve reworked everything a number of times. To switch between using sequenced drums and manual pad input, I am using a set of 6 gates running off of one toggle, with a + 1 to choose between input 1 and 2.

[Problem]
I’d prefer not to have to hook up 6 things every time I want to change the architecture. It’s a small matter, doesn’t take too long, but I feel there should be a more elegant way to do it. I am familiar with send and recieve, pack and unpack, and I’ve gone through many of the tutorials.

What I’d like to know is if there is an equivalent to pack for the bang object instead of numbers. I figure it should be possible, but no good results yet.

Thanks for reading, and here is an example of what I mean.

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
Apr 8, 2011 at 10:41pm

I’m not sure I understand what you are trying to do. why do you need to pack bangs? won’t trigger do what you need? or do you want to send lists of bangs where bangs 1, 2 are on bang 3,4 or off and 5 is on again? in that case something like the below might work for you:
it’s only a starting point… improvements are needed!!

Apr 9, 2011 at 3:53pm

Thanks MIB!
I think I have a pretty good understanding of a lot of signal processing, but I haven’t fully been able to wrap my head around trigger, to be honest. This is a huge help.

I added the two other channels to make it six for the rest of my patch, connected the buttons to their proper messages so they’d send and wipe the list with one click, and voila, packbang.

I notated the patch to show what I mean, either half will be encapsulated in it’s own module. Basically this is just a protocol to keep from having to connect 6 times as many patches every time I want to move a bpatcher.

Updated patch is below.

Apr 9, 2011 at 3:57pm

Also, it wasn’t just a matter of having to connect extra patches between modules. I have a gating system in place to switch between different inputs, so this also means 5 fewer gates. I haven’t put a lot of thought into it yet, but this should also allow easy routing of as many packed signals as you’d like through a matrix. Basically this is going a lot of places in my main patch :)

Apr 9, 2011 at 4:29pm

Hello Orkester,

i’m not sure to understand too but :

HTH

Apr 9, 2011 at 4:58pm

:O

Like I said, I didn’t fully understand trigger. I’m sure I still don’t, but that’s a terribly elegant solution. I’m gonna try to wrap my head around what else it can do. Thanks Vanille!

Apr 9, 2011 at 5:37pm

Hello Orkester,

1. [trigger] is very useful ;
2. besides [select] you should have a look on [route] [funnel] and [spray] ;-)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.