pan law needed; suffering from loudness bump

Apr 17, 2012 at 7:08pm

pan law needed; suffering from loudness bump

Hi
I am using the phase inlet of two cycle~ objects to control stereo-spread of a sound source, but it appears I am missing some maths…..it functions ok, but there is a slight increase in loudness when the slider value is near the centre, tapering off at either min or max value; the patch below illustrates the problem. I would like to achieve a stable and uniform loudness level across the parameter range, from mono to stereo.

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

thanks
Brendan

Apr 17, 2012 at 7:52pm

Apparently ignorance IS bliss…..I swapped the phase-inlet control for a simple line ramp, to control the amplitude scaling of the channels and the loudness bump is gone

Apr 18, 2012 at 1:22am

Would you mind posting a patch showing your solution? I’d love to see it – I don’t quite follow your explanation, but it sounds useful. Thanks!

Apr 18, 2012 at 3:22am

If you look here on page 74 it should help http://aspress.co.uk/ds/pdf/pd_intro.pdf

Apr 18, 2012 at 11:11am

@ehdyn
thanks for the great source; very ‘layman’ friendly!

@Steven
Sure, this patch illustrates how curved and straight line scaling of amplitude effects panning and also “stereo spread” to some extent, but in this example patch I just have a simple mono source going both left and right. But in my granulator it works like a dream……yummy stereo multigrain goodness!

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

Brendan

Apr 19, 2012 at 11:38am

Thanks Brendan, much appreciated. I understand the general concept of “pan law” and have used various implementations – I just didn’t follow the specifics of the explanation in your original post.

Apr 20, 2012 at 1:32am

Cool, glad it helped – yeah thats a good resource.
That site and an old emu manual is all anybody really needs.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.