Forums > MaxMSP

Parallels and Max/MSP

August 22, 2006 | 10:16 pm

Has anyone tried running Max/MSP under Parallels?

BootCamp has been a useful tool for cross-platform development, but
it’s frustrating to boot up Windows only to discover I need to copy
yet another file over to the Windows partition or I need to rebuild
something. Sometimes it feels like I’m spending more time booting
back and forth between Mac OS and Windows than actually working on
either.-(

I installed Parallels, got a test authorization, installed XP (SP2)
on it, installed Max/MSP 4.5.7 for Windows. Also installed QuickTime
7 for Windows. I can start Max/MSP and get the demo/authorize/quit
dialog, but when I click Demo and not only does Max crash but Windows
reboots. So I tried Runtime, which launches but also has problems,
including crashing when loading externals that work fine with Max on
Boot Camp.

Has anyone else tried this combination and had it work reliably?

– Peter

————– http://www.bek.no/~pcastine/Litter/ ————-
Peter Castine | +–> Litter Power & Litter Bundle for Jitter
| Universal Binaries under way!
|…………………………………………..
Composer | iCE: Essential Tools for Sequencing, Recording
Sonic Artist | & Interface Building in Max/MSP
Software Developer | Nortron: The Idea Palette
| http://www.dspaudio.com/
|…………………………………………..
p@castine.de | http://www.castine.de/ home|chez nous|wir



jbm
August 22, 2006 | 10:28 pm

I haven’t tried parallels, but my guess is something funky with PACE. Maybe? I assume you installed the latest interLock software?…

J.


August 22, 2006 | 11:16 pm

On Aug 22, 2006, at 3:16 PM, Peter Castine wrote:

> Has anyone tried running Max/MSP under Parallels?

Since PACE isn’t supported on any platform under a VM, it should not
work under parallels. This has been covered in a variety of contexts.
However, you should be able to use the runtime version fine, but you
will need to use Boot Camp if you want to use a full version of PACE
protected MaxMSP (and at least for now, get any HW OpenGL acceleration).

-Joshua


August 23, 2006 | 9:13 am

On 23-Aug-2006, at 1:16, Joshua Kit Clayton wrote:
> Since PACE isn’t supported on any platform under a VM, it should
> not work under parallels. This has been covered in a variety of
> contexts.

Probably I should have been aware that PACE won’t run on a Virtual
Machine, but the Parallels propaganda was so everything-is-just-so-
great-on-our-VM that I wasn’t thinking about it last night. In
retrospect, the fact that the PACE installer didn’t cut in during the
install should have been a cue. But I multitask when installing
software (fill out tedious questionnaires, study Italian vocabulary,
go down for supper, that sort of thing) so I wasn’t paying sufficient
attention.

PACE’s reaction to being called on a VM is pretty brutal, though.-0

> However, you should be able to use the runtime version fine, but
> you will need to use Boot Camp if you want to use a full version of
> PACE protected MaxMSP (and at least for now, get any HW OpenGL
> acceleration).

The performance hits I’m aware of and can live with. I’m not running
Windows on a Mac as an environment for running heavy-duty A/V
patches, I’m using it to develop&test externals WRT compatibility
issues. The ability to switch OS with a mouse click, rather than
rebooting, would be a godsend. Max Runtime would be mostly sufficient
for this purpose, if it proves reliable.

I was basically asking if anyone else had good experience w/
Parallels–in which case my problems w/Max Runtime are likely due to
some slip-up I made. If nobody else has actually gotten Max Runtime
running on Parallels, then I don’t need to spend further time
investigating it.

Thanks for the response,
Peter


August 23, 2006 | 11:48 am

>I was basically asking if anyone else had good experience
>w/Parallels–in which case my problems w/Max Runtime are likely due
>to some slip-up I made. If nobody else has actually gotten Max
>Runtime running on Parallels, then I don’t need to spend further
>time investigating it.

On a tangentially related topic, I tried Jack OS X on an Intel Mac
running Parallels the other day, and was pleasantly surprised to find
that it works fine; audio playing in applications within
Windows/Parallels streamed perfectly, via Jack OS X, to Mac-based
audio apps…. Opens up a lot of possibilities I think…

Dan

Dan Nigrin
Defective Records
202 Hack / PC-1600 User / VSTi Host / OMS Convert / Jack OS X
http://www.defectiverecords.com

http://www.jackosx.com


August 23, 2006 | 12:41 pm

I played around with Parallels a couple of months ago and found it
annoying that you can’t use the same Windows installation for both
Parallels and Boot Camp. Just the thought of maintaining two Max/MSP
installations, let alone synchronizing files changed in one
environment with the other one, made me shy away from using the VM.
Besides, booting Windows is a matter of a few seconds, and with
MacDrive you can easily access files on the Mac volume.

Georg

On Aug 23, 2006, at 1:48 PM, Dan Nigrin wrote:

>> I was basically asking if anyone else had good experience w/
>> Parallels–in which case my problems w/Max Runtime are likely due
>> to some slip-up I made. If nobody else has actually gotten Max
>> Runtime running on Parallels, then I don’t need to spend further
>> time investigating it.
>
> On a tangentially related topic, I tried Jack OS X on an Intel Mac
> running Parallels the other day, and was pleasantly surprised to
> find that it works fine; audio playing in applications within
> Windows/Parallels streamed perfectly, via Jack OS X, to Mac-based
> audio apps…. Opens up a lot of possibilities I think…
>
> Dan
> —
> Dan Nigrin
> Defective Records
> 202 Hack / PC-1600 User / VSTi Host / OMS Convert / Jack OS X
> http://www.defectiverecords.com
> http://www.jackosx.com
>


August 23, 2006 | 9:17 pm

I have Parallels on a Windows machine running another Windows system.

Maestro (Max runtime application) seems to run with no problem besides the Midi synthesizer being out of tune.


August 23, 2006 | 9:59 pm

On 23-Aug-2006, at 14:41, Georg Hajdu wrote:

> Besides, booting Windows is a matter of a few seconds, and with
> MacDrive you can easily access files on the Mac volume.

Thanks for the pointer to MacDrive, that takes most of the pain out
of forgetting to copy a file over before booting Windows.

I don’t know about a few seconds, though: my stopwatch said 1’50"
between selecting Restart from the Apple menu and being able to
select something from the Start menu in XP. Depends, of course, on
how many apps have to close and how quick I am with selecting the
Windows partition in the Select Partition screen. And about 50" to
shut down Windows and restart Mac OS.

All of that is less time then I spent writing this message, so I
guess it’s a matter of perception.-) Boring activities seem to take
longer compared to intellectually stimulating activities (like
writing email to the Max list–right.)

– Peter

————– http://www.bek.no/~pcastine/Litter/ ————-
Peter Castine +–> Litter Power & Litter Bundle for Jitter
Universal Binaries on the way
iCE: Sequencing, Recording &
Interface Building for |home | chez nous|
Max/MSP Extremely cool |bei uns | i nostri|
http://www.dspaudio.com/ http://www.castine.de



f.e
August 24, 2006 | 6:48 am

Beware of MacDrive : I’ve been using it for years on my Windows because
of my mac-formatted external hard drives (thanks to digi-tosh
conspiracy), and i’m not 100% sure it’s reliable. Copying too much files
at one time, or too big files (over 10g of data) could end up in a
disaster. It screwed up a few time my hd tree table, making them
unavailable for ever (means : save what you can then reformat !). I
suppose it’s half USB’s fault, but who knows…

f.e

f.e chanfrault | aka | personal computer music
> >>>>>> http://www.personal-computer-music.com
> >>>>>> |sublime music for a desperate people|

Peter Castine wrote:
> On 23-Aug-2006, at 14:41, Georg Hajdu wrote:
>
>> Besides, booting Windows is a matter of a few seconds, and with
>> MacDrive you can easily access files on the Mac volume.
>
> Thanks for the pointer to MacDrive, that takes most of the pain out of
> forgetting to copy a file over before booting Windows.
>
> I don’t know about a few seconds, though: my stopwatch said 1’50"
> between selecting Restart from the Apple menu and being able to select
> something from the Start menu in XP. Depends, of course, on how many
> apps have to close and how quick I am with selecting the Windows
> partition in the Select Partition screen. And about 50" to shut down
> Windows and restart Mac OS.
>
> All of that is less time then I spent writing this message, so I guess
> it’s a matter of perception.-) Boring activities seem to take longer
> compared to intellectually stimulating activities (like writing email
> to the Max list–right.)
>
> — Peter
>
>
> ————– http://www.bek.no/~pcastine/Litter/ ————-
> Peter Castine +–> Litter Power & Litter Bundle for Jitter
> Universal Binaries on the way
> iCE: Sequencing, Recording &
> Interface Building for |home | chez nous|
> Max/MSP Extremely cool |bei uns | i nostri|
> http://www.dspaudio.com/ http://www.castine.de
>
>
>


August 24, 2006 | 7:52 am

> It screwed up a few time my hd tree table, making them unavailable
> for ever (means : save what you can then reformat !).

I don’t know if you know disk warrior, but it is the best tree
reconstruction software in the world! It saved me again last month
when my boot drive decided he did not enjoyed the solar storm my
plane was going through, or some other things of the sort… anyway,
it has done 3 miracles form me so far.

pa


August 26, 2006 | 10:42 pm

could have told you that the copy protection wont work
under paralleles, but i am surprised to hear that peter
said the free runtime also chrashes.
what could that be?


Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)