Forums > Max For Live

Parameter Modulation…without Adding to Undo History

September 4, 2012 | 11:19 pm

Hi all,

So I’ve created a bunch of MaxForLive devices that modulate Live parameters in different ways. I use either live.remote~ or m4l.api.DeviceParameter to do the modulations. One thing that has been a real problem with both methods is the fact that all adjustments made to live parameters with these objects add adjustments to the undo history in Live. As a result, these devices are unusable to me, even though these devices are game changers for my sound design. It’s not worth giving up my entire undo history in Live to do some really far out modulations, because I end up repeating tasks far too many times, and my progress in compositions is thus heavily stunted. Does anybody have a solution for this problem? I’m sure others must be having it.

The two things I found that did not help me solve it:
1. http://cycling74.com/forums/topic.php?id=25143
2. http://www.ableton.com/articles/buffer-shuffler-generates-lots-of-undo-steps

Many thanks,
Mike

pid
September 5, 2012 | 8:20 am

hi mike.

[M4L.api.DeviceParameter] uses [live.object] exclusively. this means that every change will be written to the undo queue. you need to use [M4L.api.DeviceParameterRemote], which controls using the [live.remote~] object, which does not write to undo history. best way is to roll your own.

live.object == for single parameters, undo queue
live.remote~ == use for lfo’s / crazy mangling – no undo history reported.

hth.

pid
September 5, 2012 | 8:20 am

hi mike.

[M4L.api.DeviceParameter] uses [live.object] exclusively. this means that every change will be written to the undo queue. you need to use [M4L.api.DeviceParameterRemote], which controls using the [live.remote~] object, which does not write to undo history. best way is to roll your own.

live.object == for single parameters, undo queue
live.remote~ == use for lfo’s / crazy mangling – no undo history reported.

hth.

September 5, 2012 | 11:04 am

WOW. Thank you so much! That was all I needed. Life saver….

Back to hacking!

September 5, 2012 | 11:04 am

WOW. Thank you so much! That was all I needed. Life saver….

Back to hacking!

September 5, 2012 | 11:09 am

For future users…

If you are still getting the same problem, do the following:

- use the device
- after the device has changed the value of some parameter, click "edit" in the Live window, (next to "file") and make sure some other parameter isn’t getting save to the live history
- if it is, you’ll see something like "Undo Change live.button"
- next, find that object in your max patch, right click and open the inspector
- find "Parameter Visibility" and set to "Hidden"

September 5, 2012 | 11:09 am

For future users…

If you are still getting the same problem, do the following:

- use the device
- after the device has changed the value of some parameter, click "edit" in the Live window, (next to "file") and make sure some other parameter isn’t getting save to the live history
- if it is, you’ll see something like "Undo Change live.button"
- next, find that object in your max patch, right click and open the inspector
- find "Parameter Visibility" and set to "Hidden"

September 5, 2012 | 3:10 pm

Thanks! This is really helpful.

September 5, 2012 | 3:10 pm

Thanks! This is really helpful.

January 10, 2014 | 8:51 am

Question on this – what if you have a live.numbox that you are automating to control something like DMX – you want the automation lanes in live, but don’t want a million undos to appear in live everytime a parameter is automated – any way to avoid that? thanks!

January 10, 2014 | 12:21 pm

As suggested, live.remote~ should do the trick.

January 10, 2014 | 7:07 pm

@stephane – thanks for the reply – but i am not automating a live parameter – i am sending the automated value to a dmx object.

February 13, 2014 | 8:50 pm
– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

Something like this will do the magic for you and you will see all automated parameters in live but without undo history.
The only problem here is if you want to map it to another max device.
I still try to figure this out… :/

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)