Forums > MaxMSP

Parameters inside poly~ available in Live device?

April 29, 2009 | 9:05 am

Hi,

Can I just leave the parameters inside poly~, or should I gather everything outside poly~ with "in" inlets.

Im trying to figure out how to best organize my max for live synthesizers.

edit: what I kind of wonder, is how much "stuff" should I keep inside poly, and what should be gathered outside.

The instruments im building will only be used as max for live devices.
I think I have not yet really got my head around the logic of polyphony in Max.

Any hints appreciated !

Cheers

May 1, 2009 | 12:34 am

There are so many ways to use poly~. Of course, you can have parameters outside your poly~ (I guess all of the parameters you want in your UI will be "outside" the poly~ voice). And you can have parameters generated directly inside a poly~ voice.
You can have really a lot of stuff inside a poly~ (including other poly~ layers!) I really depends on your patch, and what kind of synthesizer you are building.
But whether it’s for Max or Max for Live shouldn’t make a difference at this level of design. Except that in Live, you could even use one of the available synths Wink
Jean-Francois.

May 1, 2009 | 8:28 pm

Thanks !

Yeah, I remember now, all ui-elements outside the poly voice !

But I still havent made up my mind whether polyphony in max-msp is awkward or really cool/clever.

I have a feeling this could be really cool for AAS like additive/physical modelling stuff that needs huge amount of voices available, as you can set up clever ways of muting voices that are currently not processing.

Am I thinking about cool stuff here? (Just need to learn the basics first)

Smile

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)