Forums > MaxMSP

Parsing iTunes XML with [detox]…

April 10, 2012 | 2:55 am

Just poking around at this possibility. I loaded my iTunes library in, and it parses the but not the value (). Do I need to learn more, or is this a substantial obstacle to dealing with iTunes’ XML?

Thanks,
Brian

April 10, 2012 | 7:36 am

Hi Brian,

let me take this opportunity to make some self-advertisement for my advanced XML parser tools for Max (namely, [sadam.rapidXML] and the Java-based [sadam.dom] and [sadam.sax]), which you’d find in my free library:

http://www.sadam.hu/software

Hope this helps,
Ádám

April 24, 2012 | 5:41 pm

Hi Adam,

I think I’m looking to do similar things, but coming from a webpage. I downloaded and got your XML tools installed. I’m a little confused as to how they work.

Let’s say I wanted to have Max go to a particular URL, grab (scrape) the web page from there and then start to parse for a list of items, or some other data; Do I use jit.uldl somehow connected to sadam.rapidXML?

I’ve done programming before, but this area is so very new to me, I’m just trying to get started with a simple example of a patch or something, and then I can at least try to go from there. Is there a tutorial that illustrates this using your extensions? Or a simple patch that I could look at?

Thanks so much!

Valentin

April 25, 2012 | 9:29 am

Hi Valentin,

I created a small patch that would fetch a webpage and import it into my parser. Unfortunately I have no experience with Web content fetching in Max, actually this is my very first patch using [jit.uldl], so there might be some bugs out there in the example patch. Nevertheless, it seems to work with my own page:

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

This only demonstrates how you can import an XHTML into the objects (you can replace [sadam.rapidXML] with the other two parsers, the mechanism would remain the same). To browse/modify the actual content, please refer to the help files of my objects.

Hope this helps,
Ádám

April 25, 2012 | 9:34 pm

Thanks Ádám,

I’m psyched that you got back to me so quickly – I will check out the patch and see if I can extrapolate from there for my needs.

Very much appreciate it!!

Valentin

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)