particles from gridshapes?

May 31, 2012 at 2:04pm

particles from gridshapes?

hello all! i’m relatively new to Jitter, and have an important show coming up, I’m desparately hoping someone can help! i’ve been trawling the internet and tutorials all day for advice here!

all i need is to build a patch that generates a repeated 2d shape, (possibly rotating) in the same way that jit.p.vishnu generates particles. basically replacing the particles with a jit.gl.gridshape…?

any help is welcome!

May 31, 2012 at 4:22pm

hi, here a patch with the super cool andrew’s recipe 48 particles.
This is a gridshape to the output of gl.multiple….you can easily transform the patch…

mathieu

Jun 3, 2012 at 4:50pm

A rotating 2D shape? You could capture a the image of a 3D shape from a certain angle and map it as a texture onto a plane to make it flat? Perhaps you could explain a bit more. If you are looking for the same aesthetic as the particles of vishnu you can can set the render mode of the gridshape to “points”

Jun 3, 2012 at 5:58pm

hi folks, thanks for the responses!

@matmat
am i right in saying this patch will only work with max 6? i only have 5 and the patch doesnt appear to work? maybe theres some objects in the GenParticles subpatch that i dont have?

@zthomas
my plan is to have a moving ‘origin’ point from which shapes appear and spin off in random directions, at random speeds, fading out their alpha as they move away and rotating in different directions and speeds. i have acheived almost all of this now after adjusting recipe number 19 – Tannenbaum. the wording has been replaced by shapes, however i cannot figure out how to make the origin point move about..? any ideas there?

in a nutshell, i guess id figure out the problem if anyone knows how to get the origin point in ‘Tannenbaum’ to move around!

Jun 4, 2012 at 1:22pm

The solution is here:

> The jit.expr object is used to kill off old particles and reset them to 0. using the fourth plane of “cheer”.

To move the origin you make them reset to an arbitrary position instead of 0 0 0. I hope you read jit.expr language…

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

(C74, if you’re reading this, while adapting the patch above Max6 crashed on me 4 times while opening up something like a color panel or a save window… Rendering kept going but Max became unresponsive. This doesn’t happen when rendering is not on.)

Jun 4, 2012 at 1:25pm

Btw, this makes your particles respawn from the arbitrary position after resetting. You need to build something extra in if you also want the first generation to originate from it. You ‘d do that by initializing the ‘cheers’ matrix with your values.

Jun 7, 2012 at 7:30am

I really appreciate the pointers here, not had a chance to look at this yet, but will!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.