Forums > Javascript

Passing a jsobject from one js instance to another. Different behaviour in Max6

February 24, 2012 | 5:52 pm

I’ve searched the forums and can’t find a related discussion, so here goes: Basically, I’m passing some information in he form of a simple jsobject from one js instance to another.
Sender: (send_obj.js)

outlets = 1;

function bang() {

post('bang!');
	var out_obj = {'name':'Jimmy', 'job':'Driver'};
	outlet(0, out_obj);

}

Receiver: (recv_obj.js)

outlets = 1;

function receive(in_obj) {
    keys = [];

for (var key in in_obj) {
        keys.push(key);
    }
    post(keys);

post(in_obj['name']);

}

In Max5, it works without a problem, whereas in Max6 when I try to inspect the object in the receiver instance, I always get ‘undefined’.

Furthermore, In Max5, when I list the keys, I get ‘name’ and ‘job’ as expected, whereas in Max6 I get 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 and if I look at the values, it spells out ‘jsobject’. So it appears that it’s only getting a string containing ‘jsobject’ rather than an actual object?

I’m possibly going to look for another way to pass the information, so if anyone has any suggestions I’m all ears.

Attachments:
  1. testjsmax6.maxpat

Jan
February 28, 2012 | 2:43 am

Hi Murzz,
In max 6 you can use dictionaries to share simple JSON objects across the JS instances. At least as long these Objects don’t contain code/functions or object classes.

I personally like to work with a simple event-listener structure to pass objects/code around JS in Max. Like this i don’t need to poll for changes and Objects can be passed directly from [js ] to [js ] without going through inlets and outlets.
in this thread (at the end) http://cycling74.com/forums/topic.php?id=37722 I recently posted an example of the event/listener construction I use.

Jan

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)