Forums > MaxMSP

Patch only works when bang made with keyboard or mouse

May 11, 2014 | 4:50 pm

This patch is meant to find screen positions of points in a curve editor. The patch relies on the curves.png file for demonstration. I am on a mac, Max 6.1.3.

Open the patch, hit the preset and enable the toggle up top.

Open the PNG and move it on the screen so that it fills the area jit.desktop is sampling.

Hitting "analyze coords" should put red lines and crosses over the white points. However, hitting "delayed bang" doesn’t work, it clears it. What’s going on here?

• This topic was modified 5 months by  kjelgaard.

May 14, 2014 | 8:26 am

i know the patch is a little complex, but can i get some advice on whether my message order is bad, or i need to use deferring or change my scheduler settings? i am still unsure where to start in debugging.

May 14, 2014 | 9:47 am

Hi, I haven’t go the reqired externals so I couldn’try it out, but:
Hitting ‘analyze coords’ does work and ‘delayed bang’ does not, right?

A GUI event such as mouse interaction is in low priority, or the queue. If using a delay, you essentiallly timestamp that event and therefore move it up to high priority scheduler. Putting a deferlow or defer after the delay should fix this, moving the event down again.
I didn’t have a closer look at the whole patch and don’t know why that would matter, but this is the difference between hitting ‘analyze coords’ and ‘delayed bang’
hoope that helps,
cheers!

May 14, 2014 | 12:12 pm

Thanks, all. Deferlow after delay fixed it, now I can refresh with a metro. It should work with the cv.jit externals.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)