Forums > Max For Live

Patches made in the max6 standalone version.Can we use them in Max for Live?

June 28, 2012 | 6:05 pm

Hi all
In internet there are many maxpat created in max6 standalone version.I have visited this web: http://www.ableton.com/pages/faq/max_for_live Max for Live FAQs and see the question number 12 I have patches that I´ve made in the standalone version of max.Can I use them in Max for Live?
I have patches that I’ve made in the standalone version of Max. Can I use them in Max for Live?
Yes, but they will need to be copied into Max for Live manually. To do this:

open the original patch in the standalone version of Max
copy the entire contents of the patch
open Live
load an empty Max Instrument, Max MIDI Effect or Max Audio Effect, depending on the type of device you’re trying to make
click the empty device’s Edit Button to open the Max editor
paste the contents of the original patch into the editor
You may need to modify the new device to take into consideration the pre-made input and output objects.
-I had Ableton Live 8.3 Maxforlive5 and i have bought two weeks ago Max6 with the ableton offer discount.
(You may need to modify the new device to take into consideration the pre-made input and output objects).
Please someone can help me,how modify the new device in ableton pre-made input and output objects,is there any tutorial video to do this?
And other question;If i open ableton Live and after max6 standalone in ableton preference midi ports appear midi input : midi from max1,midi from max2.midi output : midi to max1,midi to max2.what for serving these ports? How can i use them?
Thanks Regards

June 28, 2012 | 8:24 pm

Please someone can help me,how modify the new device in ableton pre-made input and output objects,is there any tutorial video to do this?

I don’t know of any tutorials but the process itself is relatively simple, though time consuming.

In short; first you need to make sure that the patch will be using the right input / output devices (so midiin, plugout~ for an instrument, midiin / midiout for midi effects and plugin~ and plugout~ for audio effects). Obviously the patch will need to comply to Live standards; so an instrument which provides effect processing might need to be split up in two parts.

Second is the interface. In order to have the patch comply to Live specifications you’d need to use Live interface objects. So for example; a live.numbox instead of a number, a live.slider instead of a slider, etc. Although the native Max objects will work in Live you’d be running into problems the moment you hookup a supported control surface such as the APC40.

And other question;If i open ableton Live and after max6 standalone in ableton preference midi ports appear midi input : midi from max1,midi from max2.midi output : midi to max1,midi to max2.what for serving these ports? How can i use them?

Thats because of the Rewire process. You’re basically using Max as a rewire slave there and Live as the rewire master, that’s why all those ports show up.

The whole process of using Rewire in Max is explained here. How you can setup Live to handle Rewire is explained here.

Hope this helps.

June 28, 2012 | 10:15 pm

Hi ShelLuser a lot of thanks to your fast answer.
I will study and practice your advice
Best Dreams

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)