patches within patches

Aug 5, 2008 at 9:26pm

patches within patches

Hi
I am relatively new to this program, though I have created a few interesting interactive joystick enabled AV patches with this and jitter. I now want to be able to load different patches onto the desktop from within one patch. i.e one patch open which can call one of a number of different patches located within the same folder, is this possible?
Further to this, I am thinking for when i present my makings in exhibition, it would be good if this ‘intro’ patch was the only one available to the viewer / user to see and for the called upon patch window to load in the background or out of sight..
Can someone direct me towards the relevant object that I need to understand to get this action working?
thanks
Jaygo

Aug 5, 2008 at 9:30pm

Quote: JBLOOM wrote on Tue, 05 August 2008 14:26
—————————————————-
> Hi
> I am relatively new to this program, though I have created a few interesting interactive joystick enabled AV patches with this and jitter. I now want to be able to load different patches onto the desktop from within one patch. i.e one patch open which can call one of a number of different patches located within the same folder, is this possible?

The thing you want is called an abstraction. Briefly, type the name of any patch you’ve saved in your file path into an object box, and an instance of that will be created.

Tutorial 15 covers this, as well as some other docs. Search for abstraction.

mz

Aug 5, 2008 at 9:42pm

thanks will check it out now..

Aug 5, 2008 at 9:57pm

Alternatively if you want to load unrelated files you can send the message “load filename” to the [pcontrol] object, replacing the word “filename” with, surprisingly, the name of the file you want to load.

lh

Aug 6, 2008 at 12:26am

There’s also this example which does the launching from a simple master patch to get you started real easily:
Max5/examples/utilities/launcher.maxpat

You could replace the object in that patch with containing names of your patches. If you want them to remain hidden, look into scripting using the

object. Click on the helpfile for it has some of this hide/show stuff in there.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.