Forums > MaxMSP

pattr-ized [umenu] and Max4Live

August 5, 2012 | 3:40 pm

Hi guys,
here’s my patch. ( attached below )

i’m trying to buid a sampler in the Max4Live enviroment.
if you drop a sample on the live.drop zone the folder path is extracted and the umenu is polulated with all the .wav files that are in the folder.
i’ve pattr-ized the relevant part and i can save and recall presets.
i can even automate the umenu via live clips envelope, but daaaang…i can’t midi learn the umenu.
So i think that i can use the live.menu, but daaaang…it can’t be populated by the [folder] objects.
So my conclusion is that none of the native Max UI objects can be midi learned in Live.
I think this is a very huge limitation ’cause i can’t design custom interfaces for my Max4Live devices.
I know that i can put i live.dial controlling the umenu. But is not elegant at all.
Am i right or am i missing some fundamental stuff that would let me midi learn native Max UI objects in Max4Live?

many thanks for the help

a.

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

August 6, 2012 | 8:50 am

hi guys,
any opinion on this topic?
thanks
a.

August 6, 2012 | 10:31 am

I think controlling the umenu with some live.* GUI object is the only option.
Note that it can be made invisible, ie. alpha=0 for all color parameters.

August 6, 2012 | 11:11 am

thanks broc,
so the same goes for all the other native max UI ?
the alpha tricks is ok but…can be counterintuitive to midi learn a parameter that’s not visible. another option could be to have different tabs on a max4live device with one part of the gui dedicated to midi learn paramenters with standard live.* objects.

I really thinks that the following stuff is the real max4live limitations :

1. the standard live.* UI objects does not have any visible attriubutes realative to data manipulations ( set min, set max, the text list for the live.menu object, live.drop not accepting folders

2. the standard native max UI objects are not visible to the midi/key learn mechanism in Ableton Live even if they are pattr-ized

3. no multiple audio input/outupts for M4L devices

4. no access to midi ports from within M4L ( i know there’s some custom made object for this on mac but i’m on win7 ).

may we hope to get these things sorted for Live 9 and Max 6.1 ?

( kindly praying developers here )

thanks

a.

June 4, 2014 | 12:35 am

DOnt know if it is to late to tell you thins but you can populate a live.menu (or any other live.xxx device) by sending it the message _parameter_range

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)