pattr not binding with preset object across patches

Oct 6, 2010 at 3:20pm

pattr not binding with preset object across patches

Hi,

I have created a series of patches all with preset storage which is managed by the preset object linked with pattrstorage. I am also constructing a meta-preset management patch which will allow me to switch between presets of presets. I am using a pattr object in the meta-patch which is then bound to the lower level patches using “bindto ::patchName::presetPvarName”. However, max posts that the pattr is not able to bind to the preset object. Anyone know why?

The code is correct as I have been able to bind to other controls perfectly.

Can preset be called in this manner when it is working with pattrstorage?

Many thanks for your help
Chris

Oct 8, 2010 at 7:36am

No, you can’t bind to the preset object. You can, however, bind to a umenu that sends a number to the preset object or the pattrstorage object.

Oct 8, 2010 at 2:10pm

Right, when you use preset that’s connected to a pattrstorage (with the pattrstorage’s name in the preset Inspector), it doesn’t behave like a regular preset (which remembers objects attached to it). Rather, it acts as a GUI object to store and recall pattrstorage slots in an intuitive way. It’s a bit confusing as this seems like it’s “bound” to pattrstorage, but that terminology is used for actual binding, rather than referencing.

So for your meta-preset you’d connect it to number boxes or umenus, which means you’re using the meta-preset as a typical preset. These number boxes or umenus send the desired number to the *other* presets, thereby calling the pattrstorage slots you want in each of them. This also allows you to use floats rather than integers, thereby having access to interpolation that pattr provides.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.