[pattrstorage] could not create file (32)

Oct 31, 2006 at 8:57pm

[pattrstorage] could not create file (32)

Dear all, I know this problem was already been discussed, but I don’t know if it was been solved and I can’t find an easy solution.

I’m on Windows XP, with Max 4.6.2. When I try to save an xml file with pattrstorage, it can’t do that and the follow error appears in the Max window:

• error: pattrstorage: could not create file (32)

And the “writeagain” message does the same thing.

How should I do to avoid this problem?

ps: the previous discussion about this topic is here:

http://www.cycling74.com/forums/index.php?t=msg&goto=52790&rid=2862&S=acc56e992badb76011b24ee4c7cf4fa4&srch=pattrstorage+%22could+not+create+file%22+%22error+32%22#msg_52790

Regards,
Bruno

————————————————-
- http://www.brunozamborlin.com -
————————————————-

#28459
Nov 6, 2006 at 4:24pm

Sorry, I cannot reproduce this problem.

Are you holding the file open in a text editor, or in Max somewhere?
Error 32 on Windows is a sharing permissions error
(ERROR_SHARING_VIOLATION). According to this article [1], that’s the
most likely explanation for the issue.

jb

[1]: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316609/en-us

Am 31.10.2006 um 21:57 schrieb Bruno Zamborlin:

>
> Dear all, I know this problem was already been discussed, but I
> don’t know if it was been solved and I can’t find an easy solution.
>
> I’m on Windows XP, with Max 4.6.2. When I try to save an xml file
> with pattrstorage, it can’t do that and the follow error appears in
> the Max window:
>
> • error: pattrstorage: could not create file (32)
>
> And the “writeagain” message does the same thing.
>
> How should I do to avoid this problem?
>
> ps: the previous discussion about this topic is here:
> http://www.cycling74.com/forums/index.php?
> t=msg&goto=52790&rid=2862&S=acc56e992badb76011b24ee4c7cf4fa4&srch=patt
> rstorage+%22could+not+create+file%22+%22error+32%22#msg_52790

#87394
Nov 6, 2006 at 9:11pm

Same problem here…

This error appears if the xml file that pattrstorage tries to overwrite already exists. I now manually delete the files in windows explorer just to be able to get the xml files stored properly.

And the shitty part is: if I forget to do this, my changes don’t get saved… nobody here that doesn’t know how frustrating stuff like that can be…

#87395
Nov 6, 2006 at 10:19pm

Interesting…
So, if I write a JS that everytime deletes the existing XML file, everything should work properly?

I’ll try.

Bruno

————————————————-
- http://www.brunozamborlin.com -
————————————————-

#87396
Nov 6, 2006 at 11:22pm

If your problem is the same as mine (and I think it is!) then I think that should solve it…

#87397
Nov 7, 2006 at 11:57am

As I mentioned, and as the cited article clarifies: This problem
should only occur if the file is in use by another program, and
doesn’t occur on my machine. If any of those experiencing the issue
could provide the following:

1. a patch which demonstrates the problem
2. a list of explicit instructions, which describes how to reproduce
the problem
3. additional information (for example, OS language, /path/to/the/
files, etc.) which might be relevant

I would be happy to investigate further. My tests, which were limited
to opening the pattrstorage help patch, writing a preset, and writing
it again, don’t turn up anything.

jb

Am 06.11.2006 um 22:11 schrieb Tarik:

>
> Same problem here…
>
> This error appears if the xml file that pattrstorage tries to
> overwrite already exists. I now manually delete the files in
> windows explorer just to be able to get the xml files stored properly.
>
> And the shitty part is: if I forget to do this, my changes don’t
> get saved… nobody here that doesn’t know how frustrating stuff
> like that can be…

#87398
Nov 10, 2006 at 10:54pm

Well, then it’s a pretty weird system-specific problem. When I do exactly the same thing as you did (opening the help file and writing storage.xml two times), the xml file gets created the first time, but max doesn’t overwrite it. Instead I get the “could not create file (32)” message.

I have two windows XP installations (SP2) which both turn up with the same results. I work on an Asus laptop (model A6Q055H), with Intel M processor (1.73 GHz).

The file gets no read-only attributes or whatever, and if I delete it in windows explorer it goed perfectly fine.

Let me know if I can do anything to help you fix this bug!

#87399

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.