Forums > MaxMSP

pattrstorage issues and autorestore strategies

May 23, 2013 | 2:57 pm

%#%## First of all, I’m confused by the autorestore attribute of pattrstorage.
I have [pattrstorage midiconf @autorestore 0] but when I open the patch, it DOES automatically load a midiconf.xml file and restore the values.
As a workaround I do put the @autorestore 0 into each and every [pattr] object, but the autorestore attribute is also listed in pattrstorage’s reference file, so I assume that it should work.

%#%## Second thing is issue with paths. In order not to confuse the pattrstorage object, I don’t specify ANY paths to it. When I tell it to "writexml midiconf" it does write it where he wants and I never manually saved it anywhere else.
Thing is, that when that (unwanted) autorestore happens, I always find this error message in MAX window:

"Multiple files named midiconf.xml were found in the project folder (this one in data). Please remove or rename any unused copies."

So I look it up, and there is one file in main project directory and in data directory. So I deleted both, reopen the patch, play with it, but next time I am getting the same error message again… How is this possible?

here is the part of the patch:
<code>

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

</code>

May 23, 2013 | 10:28 pm

Here are some places I’d look if I had this problem:
–Are you using [autopattr]? if so, note that its @autorestore attribute is "1" by default
–try giving the pattrstorage an @savemode attribute (maybe you want "@savemode 3"?) instead of sending a "writexml" message on close.
–"writeagain" may be better than "writexml." the "write" message overwrites the existing file (I think). Writeagain is like command-S.
–Delete any unwanted "midiconf.xml" files from the hard drive (not just the max project interface)
–Go to Project Settings>Project Inspector and look into using "Always Localize Project Items;" Also check to see whether you are using "local" or "global" project files (see the "About Projects" vignette)
–Put [deferlow] before all messages to [pattrstorage]
–Specify the location of your .xml file in the "data" folder of the project.
–Use [pipe] and [delay] to spread out slot and write messages to [pattrstorage]. here’s an example:

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

Have fun!

May 24, 2013 | 3:56 am

thanks!

- i’m not using autopattr

please, could you describe how to "specify the location of your .xml file in the "data" folder of the project"? (without java please)
I mean, the project should know it’s absolute path, so I use only relative paths.
Do you mean something like "writexml data\\midiconf.xml" and "read data\\midiconf.xml" ?

i’ll check the rest of the hints too. thanks a lot!!

May 24, 2013 | 8:46 am

Easy to specify location. Send [pattrstorage] a "write" message (no filename arguments; just "write") and save the .xml in the "data" folder of the project. If the project has no "data" folder create it (lowercase).
Tip; make sure you’re saving into the current project hierarchy. Sometimes the save prompt initializes elsewhere.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)