PD files

Mar 7, 2008 at 4:23am

PD files

Hi guys, I need some (well, a lot) of help with Max/MSP.

Basically, I’ve never used Max/MSP before or anything like it. I’ve used programs like Adobe Audition for audio recording, but those are completely removed from this sort of thing. Other than very minimal knowledge of Basic from my Grade 10 computers class, I have no experience in programming whatsoever. I don’t have a MIDI keyboard or anything, and I’m only vaguely familiar with concepts like ADSR.
Essentially, I have no idea what I’m getting into, so some helpful coaching would be appreciated. :)

I’ve been listening to a lot of Autechre, Kid A-era Radiohead, etc. etc., you know all those bands, and they seem to be using a lot of Max/MSP and what not, so I figured I’d give it a try and do something similar, just for fun. So I got ahold of some .pd file for this program that is supposed to generate random rhythms within certain parameters (or something of that nature), as well as the 30-day trial of Max/MSP.

1) How do I use a .pd file within the program? I’ve tried just using File->Open (I might not be a programming wizard, but I’m not computer illiterate) but I get a bunch of error messages. What do I do instead?
2) What do I do with it once I get it open? Suppose I want to change the tone/type of sounds it’s generating. What’s the best easy way to do that?

Any help at all would be great.

- Mason

Mar 7, 2008 at 4:59am

Hi Mason,
pd (puredata) is another program, similar but not really compatible to
max-msp. what you want to do sounds interesting and I’m sure there are
max files (also called max patches) that will let you do similar stuff
as the pd files. (I am sure people will provide links…)
for your files, I would suggest to get a version of Pd at
http://puredata.info/downloads and try to open your pd files with puredata.
marius.
ps. I hope I will not get banned from this list now or lose my max
license…

Mason wrote:
> Hi guys, I need some (well, a lot) of help with Max/MSP.
>
> Basically, I’ve never used Max/MSP before or anything like it. I’ve used programs like Adobe Audition for audio recording, but those are completely removed from this sort of thing. Other than very minimal knowledge of Basic from my Grade 10 computers class, I have no experience in programming whatsoever. I don’t have a MIDI keyboard or anything, and I’m only vaguely familiar with concepts like ADSR.
> Essentially, I have no idea what I’m getting into, so some helpful coaching would be appreciated. :)
>
> I’ve been listening to a lot of Autechre, Kid A-era Radiohead, etc. etc., you know all those bands, and they seem to be using a lot of Max/MSP and what not, so I figured I’d give it a try and do something similar, just for fun. So I got ahold of some .pd file for this program that is supposed to generate random rhythms within certain parameters (or something of that nature), as well as the 30-day trial of Max/MSP.
>
> 1) How do I use a .pd file within the program? I’ve tried just using File->Open (I might not be a programming wizard, but I’m not computer illiterate) but I get a bunch of error messages. What do I do instead?
> 2) What do I do with it once I get it open? Suppose I want to change the tone/type of sounds it’s generating. What’s the best easy way to do that?
>
> Any help at all would be great.
>
> – Mason
>

Mar 7, 2008 at 1:11pm

Great, thank you. And sorry about all the duplicate posts, I don’t know how that happened.

Mar 7, 2008 at 3:19pm

Don’t worry Marius, I don’t think you are the only “double agent” in
this list ;-)

james

On Mar 6, 2008, at 11:59 PM, marius schebella wrote:
>
> ps. I hope I will not get banned from this list now or lose my max
> license…
>
>
>

==========================
James Correa
composer
http://www.buffalo.edu/~jcsoares
jcsoares@buffalo.edu
==========================

“I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I
have read, all the people that I have met, all the women that I have
loved; all the cities that I have visited, all my ancestors.”
J.L.Borges

Mar 7, 2008 at 5:18pm

marius schebella schrieb:
> http://puredata.info/downloads and try to open your pd files with puredata.
> marius.

That’s how I do it usually, open Pd and Max at the same time, and just
repatch all in Max. This has the advantage for beginners, that they more
easily get into experimenting with the patch and its also easier to
understand whats going on.
If you need some objects which don’t exist in Max, have a look at my
St.ools/abhaXion collection, there are some replacements for common Pd
objects in it (find it at the cycling74 share pages…)

> ps. I hope I will not get banned from this list now or lose my max
> license…

We all need some inspiration from Pd from time to time, and if you look
carefully at the splash screen of Max, even David Zicarelli got inspired
and even used code based on Pd. In fact the Pd license is not GPL for
that reason…

David and Miller are very friendly competitors…
(and it will take forever till Pd looks like Max 5, very different taste…)

Stefan

Stefan Tiedje————x——-
–_____———–|————–
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
– _|_)—-|—–()————–
———-()——–www.ccmix.com

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.