Forums > MaxMSP

percussion set attack tracking

April 25, 2013 | 9:24 am

Hello,
after a couple of tries with the bonk~ object, I’m wondering is someone could have experience or a good tip in order to achieve the following issue: In a piece for extended drumset (about 15 instruments) the goal is to track the attack of every different instrument using as few microphones as possible, in an ideal case, with just one. That means that my patch should be able to identify when a particular instrument is hit. This information would be used to trigger images; the sound of every instrument would correspond with a specific image.
Of course, I could use one piezo for every instrument, but this involves a complicated set-up that I would like to avoid. The goal would be to create a patch that is as plug-and-play as possible, so that the percussion player could run the piece by himself.
I would appreciate any kind of tip.
Thanks a lot,

Alberto Bernal

April 26, 2013 | 7:06 am

I guess you can try and work it out with the [analyzer~] object by Tristan Jehan. And if you had two microphones placed next to each other at an angle (like this: / ) then you could narrow down a lot the possibilities of mixing noises, simply by noting the direction (channel) the sound is coming from.

April 26, 2013 | 8:27 am

Try my native solution out. It’s built for contact mics, but should work with regular mics. It also blocks bleed, which you will have a MASSIVE problem with using multiple instruments.

http://cycling74.com/forums/topic.php?id=46712

April 28, 2013 | 11:10 pm

Thank you very much, I’ll try both suggestions asap.
Alberto

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)