Forums > MaxMSP

Piano and Live Electronics

April 25, 2008 | 8:23 pm

Greetings to all!

I was wondering if anyone know about any paper or any other information concerning music pieces for PIANO and LIVE ELECTRONICS. I am trying to make one, but I want some external ideas. Thanks in advance everyone for the help…

panos


April 25, 2008 | 8:55 pm

By "live electronics" I assume you mean using the piano as
a sounds source. Using the piano as a sound source is
problematic because is it polyphonic and current pitch
detection tools are monophonic. Writing a piece that does
not use the pianos strength (polyphony) is not very interesting.
You might as well use a different instrument.

I think a good place to start is try to sculpt away parts of
the incoming spectra, or creating new related spectra by
sustaining/enhancing existing frequencies.


April 25, 2008 | 9:45 pm

If you intend to start with analyzing a live- Piano for further processing, there is an excellent external by Arshia Cont for analyzing and transcribing live-piano. You can find it at :

http://cosmal.ucsd.edu/arshia/index.php?n=Main.Multipitch

Hope this helps,
_A


April 26, 2008 | 12:06 am

You could do a lot worse than just doing a search for David Tutor.

http://cec.concordia.ca/econtact/8_3/burnsetal.html

bt

On Apr 25, 2008, at 1:23 PM, panos amelides wrote:

>
> Greetings to all!
>
> I was wondering if anyone know about any paper or any other
> information concerning music pieces for PIANO and LIVE ELECTRONICS.
> I am trying to make one, but I want some external ideas. Thanks in
> advance everyone for the help…
>
> panos

barry threw
Media Art and Technology

San Francisco, CA
Work: 857-544-3967
Email: bthrew (at) gmail (dot) com
Web: http://www.barrythrew.com


April 26, 2008 | 1:40 am

It’s spelled David Tudor.

Sorry, phonetic F’up.

Muir was on me like lightning. ;)

bt

On Apr 25, 2008, at 2:45 PM, Andreas Breitscheid wrote:

>
>
> If you intend to start with analyzing a live- Piano for further
> processing, there is an excellent external by Arshia Cont for
> analyzing and transcribing live-piano. You can find it at :
> http://cosmal.ucsd.edu/arshia/index.php?n=Main.Multipitch
>
> Hope this helps,
> _A

barry threw
Media Art and Technology

San Francisco, CA
Work: 857-544-3967
Email: bthrew (at) gmail (dot) com
Web: http://www.barrythrew.com


April 26, 2008 | 1:38 pm

Quote: barry threw wrote on Fri, 25 April 2008 18:06
—————————————————-
You could do a lot worse than just doing a search for David Tutor.

http://cec.concordia.ca/econtact/8_3/burnsetal.html

—————————————————-

Very nice !


April 26, 2008 | 3:08 pm

I’m trying to make the waveshaper of the article :

2/3; x >= 1

f(x) = x – x3/3; -1 < x < 1

-2/3; x < = -1

I attached a patch showing what I come up with, on one side, audio arithmetic and on the other, [lookup~].

If any one have idea to implement this waveshaper using [lookup~] (I’m pretty sure lookup~ is less expensive than audio arithmetic).


April 26, 2008 | 7:03 pm

On 26 Apr 2008, at 17:08, Bertrand Fraysse wrote:
> If any one have idea to implement this waveshaper using [lookup~]

you got it almost right.
simply clip between -1 and 1.
the waveshaper will do the rest.

in your arithmetic approach you missed a cord from output of clip~ to
the right side of the first multiplication.
but it will still not work like that, i believe.
v

ps: there seems to be a long standing bug (or misunderstanding on my
side) about lookup~’s table size.
anyway, you should make sure your buffer is actually at least 513
samples long, and compute the wavetable with 513 (0 to 512) rather
than 0 to 511. (larger table sizes won’t hurt, but improve your
results).


April 26, 2008 | 10:34 pm


April 26, 2008 | 11:15 pm

Hello,

If you wanna get an idea of pitches from a chord, you can use
transcribe~
This can be found at the following address :

http://cosmal.ucsd.edu/arshia/index.php?n=Main.Transcribe

This is using NMF (non-negative matrix factorization) with analysed
templates in a text file. Each template corresponds to a component
nmf will extract ("""demixing"""). Each component can be a note.
Pitches are deduced this way.

"Realtime Multiple Pitch Observation using Sparse Non-negative
Constraints" can be found at the following address :

http://cosmal.ucsd.edu/arshia/papers/ArshiaCont_ismir2006.pdf

best,

O../////


April 26, 2008 | 11:16 pm

>
>
> ps: there seems to be a long standing bug (or misunderstanding on my side)
> about lookup~’s table size.
> anyway, you should make sure your buffer is actually at least 513 samples
> long, and compute the wavetable with 513 (0 to 512) rather than 0 to 511.
> (larger table sizes won’t hurt, but improve your results).
>

As I understand it, with cycle~ you can enter 512 or 513 samples, the
buffer is always 513 samples long with the last one giving you the option of
having the wave interpolate over the first and last values or for you to
enter a value manually. Perhaps lookup~ gives you a similar option if it’s
this length?

pelado

http://www.pelado.co.uk


April 27, 2008 | 10:47 am

hello pelado,

On 27 Apr 2008, at 01:16, pelado wrote:
>
>> ps: there seems to be a long standing bug (or misunderstanding on
>> my side) about lookup~’s table size.
>> anyway, you should make sure your buffer is actually at least 513
>> samples long, and compute the wavetable with 513 (0 to 512) rather
>> than 0 to 511. (larger table sizes won’t hurt, but improve your
>> results).
>
> As I understand it, with cycle~ you can enter 512 or 513 samples,
> the buffer is always 513 samples long with the last one giving you
> the option of having the wave interpolate over the first and last
> values or for you to enter a value manually. Perhaps lookup~ gives
> you a similar option if it’s this length?

the interpolation from last to first value makes sense if you want to
use the wavetable as a lookup for an oscillator, i.e. if you want to
loop that thing.
in the waveshaping context, i can’t see any reason why this would be
desirable.

i don’t know what’s really going on, but i only get correct results
for odd table sizes.

v


February 19, 2009 | 12:48 am

See message #165895


Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)