Forums > Jitter

pict & png: transparency

October 27, 2010 | 10:13 am

hello!

pict & png should give me transparency, but they don’t. anything I’ve missed on, maybe on the photoshop side? (I’ve prepared a single picture without its background)

cheers!

-jonas

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

EMV
October 27, 2010 | 3:33 pm

In Max, you don’t need to do anything to get transparent pngs to work. So it’s probably on the photoshop side. Did you enable the alpha channel / transparency when saving?

In photoshop, put your object on a layer, and remove the background layer altogether. If you see the grey-white checker pattern in some parts, that’s where it will be transparent when you save it as a png.

October 27, 2010 | 3:48 pm

thanks for the hint, EMV!

I thought I did all that. that’s why I’m fairly clueless about why it’s not working

try

with

http://jonaswolf.com/carton.png

no transparency..

best

-jonas

October 27, 2010 | 5:48 pm

Hi Jonas,

At this time, jit.lcd does not support alpha transparency. You can use jit.qt.movie/jit.matrix->jit.alphablend or OpenGL.

-Ben

October 27, 2010 | 6:11 pm

that’s good to know, thanks a bunch, ben!

October 28, 2010 | 11:37 am

hey ben (or anyone interested, hehe)..

I’ve been fooling around a bit. it appears to me, that in this particular case (transparency in combination with "face replacement"/cv.jit.faces) none of your suggestions will do.. due to the drawpict command I guess/my need for working with jit.lcd..

jit.lcd does not support alpha transparency AND there’s no alternative to replacing cv.jit.faces’ box with an image – am I right? (:

cheers! &
all the best

-j

EMV
October 28, 2010 | 7:46 pm

Ah, sorry about my somewhat misdirected suggestion. I assumed you were working with fpic, not lcd (didn’t check your patch).

March 21, 2011 | 6:04 pm

@Ben Bracken

What would be the way to open a PNG and preserve the transparency in OpenGL?

Thanks a lot, Enrico ^_^

March 21, 2011 | 6:38 pm

It depends on exactly what you want to do, lots of ways to do this, but one simple example is to use videoplanes, layers and blend_enable 1:

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)