Forums > MaxMSP

Playbar for Audio?

May 30, 2009 | 11:52 pm

Has anyone made an external or jsui that emulates the playbar but for audio files? With the current playbar you can adapt its outputs to control audio, but I don’t think there is a way to update the indicator that shows how far along the song/audio files you are. I’ve been using standard buttons and a slider to achieve this, but I wanted some "all-in-one" pretty solution.

Zh
May 31, 2009 | 12:28 am

> but I wanted some "all-in-one" pretty solution

make your own! it’ll be prettier than anything else

May 31, 2009 | 12:38 am

Fair enough Grin

Let’s say I would like to:

1) Add pause and stop button, with their respective outputs

2) Have it accept a number from 0. to 1. that determines where the current playback locator is.

Is this something I need to code in C? javescript? Any directions would be appreciated before I blindly try to do anything Very Happy

May 31, 2009 | 12:50 am

You could do it in C using the SDK or javascript with [jsui] if you know how, or you could create an abstraction to load into a [bpatcher] using standard max objects which would seem the easier route.

lh

May 31, 2009 | 3:08 am
marcoskohler wrote on Sat, 30 May 2009 18:52
Has anyone made an external or jsui that emulates the playbar but for audio files? With the current playbar you can adapt its outputs to control audio, but I don’t think there is a way to update the indicator that shows how far along the song/audio files you are. I’ve been using standard buttons and a slider to achieve this, but I wanted some "all-in-one" pretty solution.

The right outlet of groove~ will give the playback position from 0. to 1. Use "set" though, since you want to be able to scrub with the bar otherwise. The only issue is the command for scrubbing, it will need to be scaled to set the new looppoints for groove~. Haven’t tried it exactly like this, should work, but you may need different objects…

May 31, 2009 | 3:46 pm

I know that groove gives the current location, but there is no way to "set" the playbar to show that.

May 31, 2009 | 3:59 pm

Here’s a basic playbar for audio with play, pause and rewind to beginning. Click/drag to set position.

You may want to make the dragging sound more smooth. Simply putting [line] or [slide] after the slider would work to a certain extent.

Inlets to control play/pause/rewind remotely might be useful, if you think you need them.

Is this what you were after?

May 31, 2009 | 4:11 pm

Looks good, thanks Grin

October 23, 2009 | 10:39 pm

@timlloyd, I love it!!!
Can this playbar be addapted to use with jit.qt.movie?

October 26, 2009 | 2:32 am

I prefer timlloyd’s solution, but here’s a playbar-object hack:

http://www.cycling74.com/forums/index.php?t=msg&goto=174518&rid=2634&S=781b454bee53965dc7baa8a5b13bb3f2&srch=playbar#msg_174518

mz

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)