playing a bass drum sample in Max

Aug 29, 2008 at 8:22am

playing a bass drum sample in Max

Hi,

Im trying to play a bassdrum sample in max 4.5

Should I use play~ or groove~ for this?

Cheers

Aug 29, 2008 at 10:34am

It depends what you want to go with it. Play is much easier (IMO) for triggering off samples but groove is easier if you want to dynamically change the sound by either strectching or pitching etc..

If all I was doing was just triggering a sample I’d use play or maybe ever sfplay~ if all I intended to do was just play the sound.

Whatever works best.

Aug 29, 2008 at 11:06am

sfplay~ means it doesnt load the sample into RAM?

Aug 29, 2008 at 11:10am

Hi,

when using play~ it seems like max does not recognize this object.
The object does not show any inlets or outlets,

what may cause this?

Aug 29, 2008 at 2:18pm

You first need a buffer~ with the sample loaded into it. The play~ object takes as a first argument the name of your buffer~. The tutorials are a very good place to learn about this.

Aug 29, 2008 at 7:22pm

right click on an object, then click help. it will offer a good overview of an object. also check out the reference for more details.

Aug 29, 2008 at 10:32pm

and just to answer your question, yes, sfplay~ means it doesn’t load the sample into RAM which is why play~ requires a buffer name as an argument so it can refer to a buffer~ object which you also need. it relates to your question, too, because a buffer~ object is the object which allocates memory in RAM for your audio-information(samples) to be stored in and then play~, once named the same name as your buffer~ object, will know where in RAM to look for your sample data.

But ya, go through Max Tutorials and MSP Tutorials(particularly, you want to work yourself(starting with Max Tutorials so you understand data manipulation and interface building) all the way to MSP Tutorials 12 through 17(and at that point, you might as well finish them off)).

Then when you feel you’re ready, these are some really brilliant examples to learn from:
Max5/examples/sampling
Max5/examples/sequencing-looping

Best of luck and have fun with it.

marlon brando wrote:
sfplay~ means it doesnt load the sample into RAM?

Aug 30, 2008 at 9:27am

Quote: laotze wrote on Fri, 29 August 2008 08:18
—————————————————-
> You first need a buffer~ with the sample loaded into it. The play~ object takes as a first argument the name of your buffer~. The tutorials are a very good place to learn about this.
—————————————————-

Should I give the buffer~ just a random name, or should i name it the same as the bass drum wave file?

Aug 30, 2008 at 11:54am

I find that naming it something descriptive like “bassdrum” is a good idea, but you can name it whatever you want. Buffer~ also takes as an argument the name of the file (to avoid the initial “read” message).

Let’s say your file is bassdrum1.wav
Type into a new object: buffer~ bassdrum bassdrum1.wav
This gives you a buffer named “bassdrum” with the file “bassdrum1.wav” loaded into it.
Now you have another new object: play~ bassdrum
This will play the data that is loaded into the buffer called “bassdrum”

But really, all of this is explained beautifully in the tutorials and the help files. I think taking a look at those might be very helpful for you.

Aug 30, 2008 at 1:00pm

Thanks !!

Is it a way to link my samples to the patch, so when im reorganizing my folders, I wont get missing samples?

Aug 30, 2008 at 1:16pm

Ok, I made a little patch with a sequencer connected to 4 different play~ objects containing 4 different bassdrums ( the same kind of bassdrum patch, but with 4 different values of pitch envelope depth ), and four different buffer~ objects, named bassdrum 1,bassdrum 2, bassdrum 3, bassdrum 4

My problem here is that it is playing just one of the bassdrumsample s, the one I loaded the last time with read – buffer~.

What am I doing wrong?

Aug 30, 2008 at 4:48pm

you can’t have spaces in your buffer name ;-D

as to your previous question, when you reorganize your samples, just be sure to include the new/reorganized folder in your file search path (check out file preferences under ‘Options’).

As people have said before me, you should check out the tutorials. You’re getting a bit ahead of yourself with this program. people here are happy to help out, but when super basic questions that can be found within the tutorials are asked, it is mildly irksome.

good luck maxing.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.